Decoys

Willow32

I purchased some of the UV jackets for my shell decoys and they certainly make the pattern stick out.

Its fair to say that when you watch real pigeons in the fields, the white markings on their neck and wings shows up much more than on most decoys.

I consider it one of the better decoying purchases I have made.

from where & how much please? would be interested :good:

I am guessing that they are the UKshootwarehouse ones as they seem to be the only ones available as a jacket. Mine are from there and are pasted onto shell deeks... very good indeed. I seem to think they were £25 for 10 but best check. Hyperflaps are also the same UV treatment... as per the secondhand ones I have for sale!

from where & how much please? would be interested :hmm:

http://www.ukshootwarehouse.com/

malkiserow, thats a good idea to paste them on the shells, I just pushed mine over the shell and made a hollow for the peg, but this does prevent you being able to stack the shells.

What adhesive did you use ?

It was a "niceday" office gluestick...but I think that Evositck contact adhesive would be better.

The jackets need a little trim with scissors to enable you to stack them when glued on.

Just a follow-up on malkiserow's idea to glue the UV "socks" on to shell decoys.

I went out to the garage to do this and found I did not have enough glue to start the job, but I did have some double sided carpet tape called "gripperod".

With the sock on the shell, I cut as near to the centre of the sock inside as possible.

I then stuck a three inch piece of tape on either side of the inside of the decoy and stuck the loose ends of the sock to it.

This has the advantage of no glue problems , or damage to the decoy.

I have checked them this morning and the fit is still tight and seems OK.

Obviously, they have not been out in the rain yet, but as the tape is underneath the decoy, I am hoping this will not be a problem.

I went out yesterday with my new home made painted spray jackets and the birds just kept coming in.

Estate agent boards for the body, this i glue and trim the kids old grey school trousers to. then the bodies are made from white tyvex painting suits that i very rough paint with acyilc paints and then just staple in place. a bit like the silo sock ones.

I have only made a dozen to see what happens and as there working i will do a dozen more and then some crow ones as well as their so easy.

DSC02516.jpg

I went out yesterday with my new home made painted spray jackets and the birds just kept coming in.

Estate agent boards for the body, this i glue and trim the kids old grey school trousers to. then the bodies are made from white tyvex painting suits that i very rough paint with acyilc paints and then just staple in place. a bit like the silo sock ones.

I have only made a dozen to see what happens and as there working i will do a dozen more and then some crow ones as well as their so easy.

Can you give a bit more detail on how you made them, Pics would be good.

Cheers

Andy

Can you give a bit more detail on how you made them, Pics would be good.

Cheers

Andy

All i did was cut a pattern out of a board that looked like a pecking pigeon. then spray contact glued the kids old grey school trousers on and then trimmed.

I then cut a little bean shape out of a paper spray suit and then stapled it onto the neck area and painted eyes and a beck on ( there not on the above photo as i did it after.

next i cut two dee shapes out the paper suit and painted with acrylic pain. White, Black and Blue. this paint is waterproof when dry and cheap as chips from tesco's. paint one to look like the under side of the bird and then one to look like the top. the main thing is getting the white wing bars on it. i didn't paint the wing bars but just left the white of the suit to show.

then just sew the top and bottom together so the painted bits are on the inside. your sewing it so you have a pocket. then turn inside out and staple it onto the plastic body you made earlier.

to get then to bounce i found that a trip to the auto breakers for there short 12" airels to be spot on.

I will take some photos when i make more as i am now thinking about make black ones as well for the crows and jacks so i can see me making 30 more so will try and remember to take some photos.

DSC00336.jpg

this just gives idea of the shape. top and bottom are the same shape just painted different.

this is the bottom half way though painting.

hope that helps a little.

regards

Phil..