4x4 help

kentishsteve

If you want a proper 4x4 with loads of room and street cred and get you anywhere than it has to be the td5 disco . I have the top of the range es model and it is awesome on and off road . you will allways pay a bit more for a disco but what a car . This is my second one and both have been very reliable .

Harnser .

If you want a proper 4x4 with loads of room and street cred and get you anywhere than it has to be the td5 disco . I have the top of the range es model and it is awesome on and off road . you will allways pay a bit more for a disco but what a car . This is my second one and both have been very reliable .

Harnser .

money bags :good: :look: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Harnser .

Cant go wrong with a good disco mines the es but the v8 super mudplugging power but its gas converted so good on the pocket !!!

recently got me a jeep wrangler, FSH, 12 months mot, four spare wheels with new tyres, 48000 miles & eats landys for breakfast all for £1000 :oops::yes:

Keep your eyes and ears open for the transmission if it goes and it proberbly will it will cost you more than a thousand pounds in labour and 3 thousand pounds for parts . All the jeep range suffer transmission problems thats why they are so cheap . Harnser .

recently got me a jeep wrangler, FSH, 12 months mot, four spare wheels with new tyres, 48000 miles & eats landys for breakfast all for £1000 :oops::yes:

Keep your eyes and ears open for the transmission if it goes and it proberbly will it will cost you more than a thousand pounds in labour and 3 thousand pounds for parts . All the jeep range suffer transmission problems thats why they are so cheap . Harnser .

thanks for the headsup Harnser, anymore info on that transmission problem :hmm::hmm:

Scifiden ,

The Jeep range are known for the problems with the transmission . Axels are weak as are the gear boxes . How ever if properly maintained and not hammered to much you can get a reasonable life out of them . I was once told that the engines generate to much torque for the transmission ,this is proberbly true as they are very fast for a 4x4 and have bags of power . Dont let this worry you as i am sure you will get plenty of use out of your Jeep but be aware of the problem and listen out for exessive whine from the gearbox and axels . All 4x4 whine to a certain amount but i am talking a really harsh loud whine . If you suspect a transmission problem it would be prudent to get rid . Hope i havent worried you ,best wishes . Harnser .

Scifiden ,

The Jeep range are known for the problems with the transmission . Axels are weak as are the gear boxes . How ever if properly maintained and not hammered to much you can get a reasonable life out of them . I was once told that the engines generate to much torque for the transmission ,this is proberbly true as they are very fast for a 4x4 and have bags of power . Dont let this worry you as i am sure you will get plenty of use out of your Jeep but be aware of the problem and listen out for exessive whine from the gearbox and axels . All 4x4 whine to a certain amount but i am talking a really harsh loud whine . If you suspect a transmission problem it would be prudent to get rid . Hope i havent worried you ,best wishes . Harnser .

thanks for the info Harnser, i will be listening very carefully :oops:

Jeep Cherokee, 4.0ltr Auto.

I bought one 18 months ago for £800 (1995) and after a couple of hundred spent in the right places it's never missed a beat. Sailed through last MOT. Brilliant car to drive, even with 20 bags of wheat in the back. Thirsty, yes. It is pure petrol and does 19 mpg on a good day. LPG converted models are still available at the same price tho, I just didn't want underslung or boot tanks. When it's not a work horse, it transforms into a nice gun bus on the shoot days. Full leather interior helps with the dirt too. They are known for diff bearings but new pattern parts have helped this. A jeep this age should have had the problem sorted by now.

A mate in the same syndicate has just bought himself one, (1997) for £600. Again it needed a couple of hundred thrown at it but it's good as gold now. Better than mine infact.

Does depend how many miles you do though. My shoot is 1 mile from my house. :oops:

James

I have a vitara. Stripped out completely! No carpets or anything so once it gets wet it doesn't stink mouldy after a few weeks.

All rear is stripped out too and boarded out so all our shooting gear fits in no problem. made a roofrack system which will have some boards placed on top next summer so I can park up and lay on roof to shoot. Stick some decent tyres on it and they are a cracking motor. Only thing they lack really is a diff lock. Although I have never needed one yet.