Cage Trapping Squirrels

I have bought a cage trap for squirrels but seem to be having a few problems, the bait (nuts) keep disappearing, the trap is not sprung and no sign of anything in the cage?

Any suggestions, could it just be mice pinching the bait and not setting off the trap? :good:

I've set the treadle plate as light as I can without the trap going off at the slightest puff of breeze!

Any help appreciated, thanks. :good:

Ade

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions lads, I will give the peanut butter a try. :)

Quist, there was never any danger I was going to be breaking the law by releasing them!!!! :hmm:

Cheers

Ade

Didn't for one minute think you would Ade, more of a general reminder :lol:

Would hate to hear of any members here getting clobbered for doing what it basically a public service.

But there are those out there who see themselves as guardians and protectors of wildlife and who wouldn't hesitate to make sure that the book got thrown at us for even the slightest suspicion.

Look at that business with the two Princes and the Harrier. No evidence of any wrongdoing was ever produced but many people only heard the initial much trumpeted PR and not the quiet retraction.

Mud sticks :yes:

Thanks very much for the offer Paul, but I am using the cage in my garden and I'm not sure that the kania's would be suitable. I am going to give the peanut butter a go and maybe if the weather turns a bit colder I might start to have a bit more success.

Thanks again though.

Ade :hmm:

no problem ade.you could also try getting the cage trap off the ground try fixing 1 on to a pice of ply and put it on top of a dustbin etc,make sure its secure and out of view of your neighbours as they might not be keen on the idea of traps.if they are not against traps you could try a double entry cage trap and screw it to the top of a fence on there run paul

if i was you i wouldnt place trap on anything hard .soil is good and lightly cover floor with soil keeping door base clear they dont realy like to feel the wire floor under them peanut butter. peanut bird feed type. fresh fruit apple pear freshly cut,

forgot a good anchor so foxes dont drag off your cage

Edited by bignoel

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update for all you lads out there. I have now managed to catch 3 squirrels in the cage traps, I persevered with the nuts and have had a bit of success. I am hoping for a few more as the weather turns a bit cooler and the natural food becomes a bit more scarce!

Thanks again lads for all of the useful tips, much appreciated. :rolleyes:

Ade

• 1 month later...