Rabbit Shooting

amateur

Anybody catch the Radio 4 Food Programme on rabbits today?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00dqctd/

It seemed reasonably sympathetic to shooters.

Question though, not having done it myself yet, is the advice they offer on preparation of newly shot rabbits what you experienced blokes do?

Is there a case for someone posting the definitive "How to do it" for rabbits on here?

Question though, not having done it myself yet, is the advice they offer on preparation of newly shot rabbits what you experienced blokes do?

Is there a case for someone posting the definitive "How to do it" for rabbits on here?

Second thing you do is push the piddle out of it, whats the first thing you do?? :yes:

:lol: D2D

Second thing you do is push the piddle out of it, whats the first thing you do?? :yes:

:lol: D2D

do the double, check its dead!! neck cracker!

Second thing you do is push the piddle out of it, whats the first thing you do?? :hmm:

:good: D2D

do the double, check its dead!! neck cracker!

THAT MAN WINS THE PRIZE.. out the other night with the team and eager to get on,was running my thumb down the belly of the umpteenth one, when I realised it was looking at me.... felt awful for all of 3 :yes: seconds, good job it doesnt happen very often.

:yes: D2D

Thanks Guys,

Yes I should have Googled the subject.

Anyway, time now to try it for real - just setting up a rabbit permission, so hopefully bunny will soon be on the menu.

Knocked off another squirrel today from the bird table, but I binned that (sorry, I mean I put it in the recycling bin) - not quite bold enough yet to cook squirrel.

Got the XS78 back from Ian Lamb. No noticeable power increase, but much smoother and my accuracy has improved.

Forgot to ask - is this a rubber glove job, or is that just too girlie a question?

go on, ill answer that one. the real men on here will say, "just rip the fur off with your teeth"....

but, i always carry a bag of latex gloves, as when you open them, they stink like ****!. get them cleaned as quick as poss, and bag em for the drive home. i have one bag of bunnies, and one bag of guts. bin the guts when you get home (unless keeping them for the ferrets), and soak bunnies overnight.

now you have to decide if you want to be.....

1. a REAL man.....

or

2. have hands that stink like ****. :good:

Ok, so it's the chemical industry quality black rubber gloves then.

:)

As for the Gloves, it's each to there own

Just remember not to go straight in and stab knife in keep it at a angle so you don't cut the intestines etc

That makes the smell very bad :P

That's what i did first time :/ never done it again :lol:

Good luck and keep us all posted :yes:

There is another method that doesn't require gloves or even cutting the rabbit open in order to gut it. I have seen this on a video and I was surprised at how simple it looks. Lay the rabbit on its back and pushing very firmly down from the highest point of it chest cavty, roll your hands forward and the gut will quite literally pop out of its rear end. I haven't tried it, but a friend who has says it works well after a little practice. I'll see if I can find the video.

There is another method that doesn't require gloves or even cutting the rabbit open in order to gut it. I have seen this on a video and I was surprised at how simple it looks. Lay the rabbit on its back and pushing very firmly down from the highest point of it chest cavty, roll your hands forward and the gut will quite literally pop out of its rear end. I haven't tried it, but a friend who has says it works well after a little practice. I'll see if I can find the video.

Here's a link

Never tried it myself :hmm:

I clean out the ones I intend to take home for friends before I leave the field, leaving something for other wildlife to gain by - it's usually gone in a few hours.

I slit the belly open between the rear legs and up to the chest cavity and drop/flick most of the innards out then grab and gather the fur at it's back to open up the chest cavity, place the bunny on the ground and use the knife to trap the entrails on the grass and lift bunny away. Nothing gets on my hands that way. I generally leave the kidney beans in place in case the recipient wants them.

I got a call from one of my brothers who was at a curry house last night. Seems the gaffer will do us a Tandoori Bunny or whatever - and it might even lead to ongoing demand for them. :hmm: A question for the more experienced guys - do any of you cook or eat the offal?

Thanks for that Axe & Dave.

More techniques to try.

Just got to shoot a few bunnies first!!!

I must say, it had crossed my mind too to see if the local tandoori would be up to a regular bunny supply.

I suppose it all depends on the quantity available