Cheap side by side shotguns - which make?

midlander007

Hi Forum,

I was hoping someone could help me make a decision.

My old side by side has finally given up the ghost so I am looking to replace it with another cheap side by side for about 200 quid. Will be used for pigeons, ducks, pheasant, etc.

After scanning guntrader I notice there are basically 7 main makes of gun that fall within my price range. I am guessing there is very little to choose between them but I know nothing about any of them so any info more than appreciated. E.g. which to avoid or which are good.

Here they are...

AYA (boxlock or Yeoman models)

Baikal

Gunmark (Kestrel model)

Laurona

Ugartechea

Sabel

Zabala

Any advice/suggestions on the above very welcome.

I would recommend a Zoli single trigger affair.

I bought one a year ago off StuartP for about £300 and it shoots just like a trap gun (nice flat rib and good sight picture) and most importantly had a singler trigger.

There are those who love double triggers, I am not one of them. Waste of time in my view and replaced with "progress" and the development of the single trigger.

Get an AYA. Its a reasonable copy, in terms of its handling, to a traditional Birmingham boxlock and spares are readily available.

Baikals are pretty well indestructible and represent good value for money,but some models have a quirky "Russian" stock shape which you will either love or hate.

All of the others are based around a differently shaped action to the AYA, one commonly used in the budget end of the Spanish gun trade, and are all, by comparison to the AYA, barrel heavy.

Having owned examples of all the above, and if I had a limited budget, I`d get the best example of an AYA Yeoman I could find.

You might want to remember though, that, since you mentioned duck shooting which means non toxic shot, the AYA,and some of the others, dependent on the model, only have 70mm chambers. Many were originally supplied with fixed chokes which exceeded half. An issue for steel shot, as is the fact that none, with the possible exception of late model Baikals, are proofed for steel.

No problem with Bismuth though.

Nick.

I would recommend a Zoli single trigger affair.

I bought one a year ago off StuartP for about £300 and it shoots just like a trap gun (nice flat rib and good sight picture) and most importantly had a singler trigger.

There are those who love double triggers, I am not one of them. Waste of time in my view and replaced with "progress" and the development of the single trigger.

The beauty of two triggers only shows itself when you find yourself in the field and the single trigger breaks down. :P

With two triggers, if one breaks you still have another barrel and can carry on with your shooting, albeit on a limited basis. But it’s better than having to pack up and go home.. :)

G.M.

Edited by Graham M

The best trigger system ever in my opinion ,is the double trigger selector that i first came across on a larona over and under . You could choose what barrel you wanted to shoot first by selecting which trigger you wanted to pull first and pull the same trigger again to fire the second barrel . Buy one off those if you want a good game gun . Harnser .