Practical Shotgun

vole

I have been doing it for over 20 years, I am a member of the UKPSA council & a Practical Shotgun Club Coach, Im also a NROI Range Officer, I have shot on the UK team since 2003 & represented the UK at European Championships in Italy & Greece & had success on the UK National Circuit, I was the UKPSA National Champion 2007 in the Standard Auto Division & I am now the 2008 Champion in Pump Division, my regular Club is Border Guns in Shropshire & I can also be found at Swadlincote RPC in Derbyshire, if you would like to try it please send me some contact details & I will organise an open day for all those interested.

You can use a section 2 gun for the day if you do not have large capacity gun on FAC, you will be reloading more but you will still get a feel for the sport & enjoy yourself.

N

Edited by neil smith

Hello Vole,

I'm new to PSG too, i did my Basic Safety Course in September which is a good introduction to it if you haven't got anyone to 'hold your hand' in a normal competition shoot. Unfortunately due to the relative small following of the sport there aren't many places that do it, unless you live in the west midlands then theres about 4 top notch places within 25 miles of each other! If you're in the North-East like me though you're screwed! Or so i thought. . . . Through a contact at my shotgun club i found out that some guys from a local gun club get together and do an informal practice shoot near Pittington, Durham, which is about 15 mins away from me. The nearest place that runs proper competitions to me is at Carlisle, through Carlisle Small Arms Club but i don't think they've got any more dates for this year.

I've found the PSG crowd to be the friendliest bunch of shooters i've come into contact with so far, none of the snobbery/old boys club that you sometimes find with clays/game shooting and none of the ******** billys you can find in the target rifle world. There is a type of dress code for PSG but its for sensible (well PC really!) reasons, no camo (including realtree/mossy oak etc) or 'military' type clothing. This isn't anything to do with anything the shooters have made up themselves, but because of the type of shooting involved i.e. 'action' shooting (derived from law enforcement/miltary shooting) pictures in the press of a civilian in an NBC suit and body armour shooting at 'human' shaped targets wouldn't go down too well in todays anti-gun Britain!

Even if you only have a Section 2 shotgun its worth having a look along, 3 blokes used them at the practice shoot i went to and they weren't that far behind the people with the Section 1 guys! :good:

Have a look at Organisation that runs PSG and Where i did my Basic course

Mark

I think Mungler was very interested in it at one time or another, I can't remember if he ever took it up though, I think the problem was getting the black cargo pants in his size.

That's a big Ultimate Force lock and load clunk click ten four roger roge.

Tactical-roll-tastic :good::good:

I think Mungler was very interested in it at one time or another, I can't remember if he ever took it up though, I think the problem was getting the black cargo pants in his size.

stuartp

I did invite Mung to come and try it a while ago but he seemed a bit coy & did not take up the offer :good: perhaps he's been doing some double secret practice since then & is now ready too shows us his skill level.

For those interested in a PSG open day at Border Guns here is some info on the location & the club.

http://www.bordergunspsg.co.uk/index.html

N

Edited by neil smith

The idea has been knocking around in the North of Ireland for some while now, and I know lots of guys who have a suitable shotgun for it, but the reason always put forward regarding "Why doesnt hit get off the ground" is that the ammo would be very dear. What size of cartridge is normally used 4's or smaller?

What size of cartridge is normally used 4's or smaller?

It is a common misconception that heavy shot is required for PSG, under UKPSA/IPSC rules all targets must be achievable using a 1oz (28g) load fired from a test gun with true cylinder bore, I use 28g gamebore white gold XLR felt clay cartridges for 95% of shots when birdshot is stipulated in the stage briefing, they work great in both the Benelli M2 or the Supernova I use for PSG matches.

I suspect its cheaper than clay shooting, a typical match will use approx 100-120 rounds of birdshot so shouldn't break the bank when compared to a serious clay shooters usual requirements.

Targets are a mix of steel plates approx 6" to 8" square & some static or swinging or possibly flipped up clays. Smaller shot sizes are actually an advantage most of the time, I do carry some 32g loads which can be usefull should I wish to take a target from a greater distance to save time.

You may also need some buckshot & slug at some matches & if that is required you will informed before you enter the match.

Mung

Your gun will do the job just fine, you rolling tecniques however should not be needed :good: you are welcome to join us on any of the dates in the Border calendar, check out the club website link I posted earlier & let me know if you wish to try it.

N

Edited by neil smith

Try Harlow town rifle & pistol club they have a PSG range just a mile from J7 on the M11, they are a very active club & run UKPSA/IPSC matches, I was there at one of there comps just last Saturday, good bunch of guys & will help you get started.

Give it a go, you will enjoy it a guarantee.

N

Thanks for all the responses. Little did I know that a place does PSG only 15 moles from my hometown and I never knew it.I currently live in Wilmslow and would be delighted to get along to have a go. I do go to the local clay grounds mainly to try a new gun then slink off back to the farms I shoot but this would add a bit of spice to shooting I think.Will pm you thanks Neil.

Little did I know that a place does PSG only 15 moles from my hometown and I never knew it.

I think you should be able to take them out with a couple of commando rolls and a couple of magazines of birdshot.

Lock'n load :yes::lol: Gooks in the wire - moles in the hole :lol:

Edited by Chard

Little did I know that a place does PSG only 15 moles from my hometown and I never knew it.

I think you should be able to take them out with a couple of commando rolls and a couple of magazines of birdshot.

Lock'n load :lol::lol: Gooks in the wire - moles in the hole :hmm:

Chard

Where do you shoot PSG ? Im intrigued to know which clubs employ commando rolls in their stages :yes: someone (maybe you not sure) mentioned it in a previous PSG thread on here, cant say I have ever been called on to roll about for a stage :lol: gone prone once or twice perhaps but not rolling about with loaded guns :lol:

Glad to hear you found a club Vole, best of luck with it.

N

Lock'n load :lol: :( Gooks in the wire - moles in the hole :hmm:

Chard

Where do you shoot PSG ? Im intrigued to know which clubs employ commando rolls in their stages :yes: someone (maybe you not sure) mentioned it in a previous PSG thread on here, cant say I have ever been called on to roll about for a stage :lol: gone prone once or twice perhaps but not rolling about with loaded guns :lol:

Glad to hear you found a club Vole, best of luck with it.

N

:lol: I saw a video on Youtube once. In fairness, it was an American one :yes::hmm: :o

He was shooting static targets from a range of about 10 feet with a referee chasing him :lol:

But he was getting down and dirty with it :lol:

It sounds like a US version of action shooting of some kind, they pretty much do there own thing over there because they have more freedom where guns are concerned & do not have the infighting within there shooting comunity we always seem to have. :good:

It is against UKPSA/IPSC safety rules to shoot at steel target closer than 5 metres for safety reasons & will get you disqualified from the competition if you do it. More than 3 DQ's and you dont play again.

Clay & cardboard targets on wooden frames can be shot closer but rarely are, a shotgun actually needs to be aimed more like a rifle as distances decrease, many poeple mistakenly think its easy to shoot small things up close with a shotgun, I have seen many people miss at less than 10 yards becuse the shot pattern has not yet opened up to a decent size.

N

Edited by neil smith

Little did I know that a place does PSG only 15 moles from my hometown and I never knew it.I currently live in Wilmslow and would be delighted to get along to have a go.
Wheres that vole21 ?

I PM'd him the same question in case I had missed a club in the Midlands :good: he's originaly from Cumbria & was talking about Low Mill Ranges, they are a small PSG club that are on the coast in Cumbria.

Andy if your in Stoke Swadlincote is only 32 miles away & holds small club days which are good to introduce new people to PSG, you will need a SGC as a minimum in order to attend as a visitor, the fee is £5 for the day.

If your interested I can post the next date when I have it.

N

For anyone in the south of England interested in Joining a PSG club, here is some good news,

Romsey Shooting Club currently have membership spaces for PSG.

Shoots are held in Romsey & Basingstoke, Hampshire.

Both section two & one shotguns are catered for & new shooters are made most welcome.

The club has a good mixture of all ages & levels & promote safe & enjoyable shooting.

Members are required to take the UKPSA safety course within 3 months of joining & we can arrange this.

Anyone intersted in attending one of the shoots please PM me a contact email address & I will forward it to the guys running the PSG section who will then contact you.

N

I have been doing it for over 20 years, I am a member of the UKPSA council & a Practical Shotgun Club Coach, Im also a NROI Range Officer, I have shot on the UK team since 2003 & represented the UK at European Championships in Italy & Greece & had success on the UK National Circuit, I was the UKPSA National Champion 2007 in the Standard Auto Division & I am now the 2008 Champion in Pump Division, my regular Club is Border Guns in Shropshire & I can also be found at Swadlincote RPC in Derbyshire, if you would like to try it please send me some contact details & I will organise an open day for all those interested.

You can use a section 2 gun for the day if you do not have large capacity gun on FAC, you will be reloading more but you will still get a feel for the sport & enjoy yourself.

N

Just found this thread so a bit late with a reply, but I have to say that is a bloody good offer from Neil, outstanding! If everybody was that decent about introducing new people to their branch of shooting then maybe we wouldn't all be skulking around waiting for what we've got left to be banned.

Really, really impressed, well done that man.