Adjustable Stocks

Bigweed

Give it a bash, if it fits am sure yourl be fine. The only time someone may have a puzzled look on there face may be a formal game shoot but then I could be wrong.

and no one will see you with it pigeon shooting or rough shooting so no problem there. i could only see 302 barrels being a bit much with lots of walking or in a hide ! :rolleyes:

Just a thought. I`ve had a gun professionally fitted and had the stock altered accordingly and it was money well spent.However, I wonder,how does one go about adjusting an adjustable stock to fit if one has little or no idea of the science behind stock fitting.

You could end up with a lot of trial and error and do more harm to your shooting than good.

If it was me, I`d have a proper fitting by a qualified coach and then have those measurements translated to the stock. Job done.

I would imagine that the temptation to keep tinkering with an adjustable stock must be almost irresistible.

Nick.

Problem with adjustable stocks is that you will have a bad day and shoot a bad round and out will come the allen keys and the tinkering will begin.

I looked at this a couple of years ago and decided that the temptation to keep messing about with chokes and stock would be too great.

I have one O/U with an adjustable comb and two without. I have had several others with adjustment - I have even done my own moveable comb. I do like the idea of an adjustable and it is easier to change than using a sander or putting material back.

Once done, you can easily get the correct set-up and it makes the gun far easier to sell.

Only snag I have found is that they sometimes creep downward. You think the fit is the same, but it isn't - tinkering then sets in. If you get one - set it up - and then put rubber/ tap washers in the gap between stock and comb. This should maintain the dimensions. The side to side never seems to alter - only the up and down movement.

Adjustable stocks and multi chokes are just more marketing gimmicks to get you to part with your hard earned! :oops: Get a (good) gun fitted and bored with the best chokes for the shooting you do most of then stick with it. More people ruin their days shooting fiddling with chokes and adjustable this and that than any other reason. Find it, Fit it, Shoot it! You'll enjoy it more.

Problem with adjustable stocks is that you will have a bad day and shoot a bad round and out will come the allen keys and the tinkering will begin.

I looked at this a couple of years ago and decided that the temptation to keep messing about with chokes and stock would be too great.

A bit like the infinitly ajustable seats in my car . I am allways playing with them to get the best driving postion . Set them to memory to find that they are not in the best postion . so start off ajusting again . It has become a crusade to find the best seat postion . I could write a book on how to ajust the seats in a disco and not get the best seating postion . Why are we givin these options . We arnt capable of handling them . Harnser .

Adjustable stocks are useful for when your weight changes. The gun fit changes - chubbier cheeks. When I had adjustables, my weight fluctuated by 8 stones - through illness. I went from 24 stone of alleged muscle to a 16 stone weakling. Graham, who runs Gundeals has the same weight fluctuation - although his fluctuation has been 12 stone.

:yp: Why? You set you the sight picture you know you need and leave it at that. The benefit of adjustable stocks is it enables freaky cheek boned types like me to find a gun that fits better.

I have one O/U with an adjustable comb and two without. I have had several others with adjustment - I have even done my own moveable comb. I do like the idea of an adjustable and it is easier to change than using a sander or putting material back.

Once done, you can easily get the correct set-up and it makes the gun far easier to sell.

Only snag I have found is that they sometimes creep downward. You think the fit is the same, but it isn't - tinkering then sets in. If you get one - set it up - and then put rubber/ tap washers in the gap between stock and comb. This should maintain the dimensions. The side to side never seems to alter - only the up and down movement.

Quite, re-sell options are good. Your point regarding the shifting, my browning shifted on the front support so i added a small bit of metallised label around the upright and that's as tight as gnats chuff now. Can post you some if you think it'll help?

Markio - thanks for the offer, but I am sorted. My son uses the adjustable comb Miroku - which crept downwards the last time he used it. It now has a fibre tap washer to keep it in place.

My XT has a stock from a 525, which fits perfectly after Mr Sander paid a visit. The one I use mainly is a Trap model Caesar Guerini, which fits straight out of the box.