I dont *@!£$*** believe it!

tom_0787

I wouldn't pay. I spend my cash at clay grounds that are in the business of making money at doing just that and offer me the assurance of getting in 50, 100 etc shots but to spend my money pigeon shooting for something that is ultimately a 'i'll scratch my back, i'll scratch yours' situation i think is a bit much. I see the point that you are a guest on someone's land and that is why a gift at Ramadan or whatever is a nice gesture.

Also posted elsewhere about similar issues.

It seems to me there’s an attitude problem here...YOURS and others like you who think you have a God given right to shooting on someone else’s land.

You won’t want to hear this (the truth) but as a ‘hobby’ vermin shooter you’re about a much use to a farmer as a bull calf from a milk cow. What farmer needs to keep his vermin down is someone who is available 24/7 not someone who will turn out when they feel like it once every so often. Someone who’ll be there at critical times such as drilling times or when the rape is getting hammered or when the rabbits are running amok and NOT just the odd Saturday or the occasional day off work.

Farmers do not give you permission to shoot their land because they love human kind they give someone permission A) to do a job or :good: because they’re paid for it.

Consider this; farmer is sitting on (usually) millions of £s worth of land and investments which mostly do not produce as much of a return as if all that money were invested elsewhere (current market conditions notwithstanding). If they choose to charge for people to shoot then that’s just another return to them which they are quite entitled to. Too many guns on here appear to think shooting (vermin) should be free but why? There’s a post on here about being charged £10 a day to shoot pigeons which most think is outrageous so consider this...you spend a day out in the glorious countryside doing what you love best and go home happy and full of renewed vigour. Is that not worth every bit of a tenner?

So try looking at it from another angle; it’s a privilege to be able to get out and shoot. If you are lucky enough to get it for free then take very very good care of it and spend some time talking with farmer. If you have to pay for the pleasure OK enjoy it!

Didnt expect such a response. To those who mentioned it i have always been polite, considerate and aimed to leave no evidence that I had ever been on the farm. I gave the farmer a bottle of wine when he granted me permission and also a bottle and a card each christmas.

Highander-

Although this is as you state my hobby, I shoot on the farm at least once every week. I have always responed to his calls when he has said they are hitting the osr.

As I see it I am providing a free service. And thats exacxtly what it is a service. I am reducing the vermin on his land free of charge.

I have not cut off my nose, I simply said that I would not be comming afterall when he mentioned paying. I will give him a few weeks and see if anything changes.

As it just so happened I went out door knocking and the second farmer I spoke to granted me permission. He actually asked how much I charge after saying he wanted me to control the rabbit numbers and was delighted when I said it was my hobby. We went to the farm yeaterday and it turnes out he contracts out the maize farming on his land. It was being cut yesterday and there were a few old boys shooting the rabbits and foxes as they were flushed out by the combine. We had a cracking eveinings shooting and met a local gamekeeper from one of the estates who took out number.

You just gotta take the rough with the smoothe.