Recent new calibers

Dave-G

I'm sort of thinking out loud here.

Knowing a shooter licensed by another authority has his rimmies conditioned for "vermin and ground game/fox": I asked my Leicester office if I could get my conditions made the same. Short answer was no. It has been verbally suggested in the past that close fox could be dealt with when out rabbiting. That may or may not be the advice currently being given, but climes they are a changing and my luck...

I have been asked to deal with fox when someone catches it in his trap - and I don't have or use a shottie. At the moment it seems I'd have to call someone to help me assist one of the guys who got me a shooting permission, the shame of it, especially when a .22lr would do the job in the back gerden of his house in a built up area - and silently too. I dont need it for long range and don't go out specifically looking for charlie.

Before I start considering something more potent that the local force will condition for close fox and humane despatch, does anyone know if the police guidelines are likely to be revised to consider the more recent calibers soon? 17HMR has not been entered on the guidlines - but has a higher velocity than the rimfires currently on it? and what of the .204 and 20TAC calibers etc? They look quite interesting as they may well be suited to an all rounder that is allowed for fox too.

I suggest you give Mike Everliegh a call in the firearms office at BASC, 01244 573030, Mike takes the lead on may of the high level meetings with the police and government advisory groups on licensing. If there is anything in the pipe line Mike will know about it first

He is a very robust chap I have to say and a passionate shooting, and ex firearms officer to boot!

David

I'm sort of thinking out loud here.

I have been asked to deal with fox when someone catches it in his trap - and I don't have or use a shottie. At the moment it seems I'd have to call someone to help me assist one of the guys who got me a shooting permission, the shame of it, especially when a .22lr would do the job in the back gerden of his house in a built up area - and silently too. I dont need it for long range and don't go out specifically looking for charlie.

I've been informed (on Good, legal accords) that a 12ft/lb air-rifle at point blank to a fox in a trap will do the job just as well as a .22lr

Edited by Bleeh

stupidly though it would be legal,

Personally just do it, assuming you've got vermin on your ticket you first have to get caught, and second have someone who doesn't think a fox is vermin. Obviously more importantly are you have permission to use the firearm in the right place

Thanks David, will see what he adds to these thoughts.

Interesting suggestions coming forth here that suggest I could at least deal with the trapped fox with guns I already have on my ticket. FAC air, .22LR and 17HMR. The LR would be my choice for this, if it were allowed.

Problem is that Leicester force will not enter "fox" on anything less than Centrefire. I presume the "humane killing of animals" bit of my ticket is to deal with farm animals rather than fox in a trap.

I'll start a separate thread about the smaller C/F's to keep this one more focused.

Thanks David, will see what he adds to these thoughts.

Interesting suggestions coming forth here that suggest I could at least deal with the trapped fox with guns I already have on my ticket. FAC air, .22LR and 17HMR. The LR would be my choice for this, if it were allowed.

Problem is that Leicester force will not enter "fox" on anything less than Centrefire. I presume the "humane killing of animals" bit of my ticket is to deal with farm animals rather than fox in a trap.

I'll start a separate thread about the smaller C/F's to keep this one more focused.

The humane killing bit you refer to is the standard wording for the conditions of use of expanding ammo. It has nothing to do with what use your rifle is conditioned for. If you wish to use your rifle for the humane killing of animals then you must have your rifle conditions worded accordingly.

I would strongly suggest that you write to your firearms licensing manager requesting that your fac be conditioned for fox and stating your reasons for such a request. If this request is turned down you should then get the BASC onto the case because many people have .22rf conditioned for fox. Remember that the guidelines state that a .22rf is sutable under some circumstances.

... I would strongly suggest that you write to your firearms licensing manager requesting that your fac be conditioned for fox and stating your reasons for such a request. If this request is turned down you should then get the BASC onto the case because many people have .22rf conditioned for fox. Remember that the guidelines state that a .22rf is sutable under some circumstances.

I have asked them to allow my rimmie/s for fox rather than acquire additional rifles - but the answer is a very decisive No, as said in my original post. The guidelines are of course for their guidance only, not hard and fast requirements. The difference between force practices is quite well known I think, and possibly reflects how rural their patch is.

Edited by Dave-G

I have asked them to allow my rimmie/s for fox rather than acquire additional rifles - but the answer is a very decisive No, as said in my original post. The guidelines are of course for their guidance only, not hard and fast requirements. The difference between force practices is quite well known I think, and possibly reflects how rural their patch is.

Dave

You missed my point. My suggestion was that you write to your FL manager and state your reasons for requiring such a condition, ie humane dispatch of live trapped foxes. By writing to him and requesting a reply in writing he may think twice before dismissing your request out of hand. Also it will give you something concrete to pass on to the BASC.

Yes, we all know the guidelines are not in themselves law but it would aid and add some weight to your letter to quote the relevant passages to further your request. It would be far safer to use a .22rf or 410 shotgun under such circumstances then a c/f rifle such as a 20 cal etc which are on par with a 22.250.

Thanks all.

I've decided to give it best on the Centrefire front for the very rare one I come across, and interpret guidelines the way many others do without speaking of it. But there we - go such is life, when in Cornwall I'll do what the Cornish do. :lol:

In my area the 22LR is cleared for Vermin and Small game I think and the 17HMR for Fox/ Long range vermin!

17 HMR was on the list with fox specifically stated as a suitable target. I personally wouldnt like to be getting BASC and stuff involved, although if you have to then make sure you have legitimate reason or whatever you need lol.

They take long enough with the licencing as it is, hehe. I dont want to imagine what it would be like if I was in there "bad books" :yes: