IS IT LEGAL?

SNAKEBITE

A lot of the confusion here seems to arise from the two angles of attack which the Lead Shot Restrictions take.

As you say it is illegal to shoot wildfowl with lead anywhere in England

It is also illegal to shoot anything with lead over the foreshore and any of the two hundred or so SSSI's listed in the legislation.

This only applies to shotguns.

Q :lol:

As you say it is illegal to shoot wildfowl with lead anywhere in England

It is also illegal to shoot anything with lead over the foreshore and any of the two hundred or so SSSI's listed in the legislation.

Quercus thanks for posting that as I was beginning to think that I had dreamed up the law. The best of it is I don't even go wildfowling myself.

Also thanks for adding the part about using lead for anything over the foreshore and the SSSI's as I admit that I had forgotten that part of the law.

When non-tox starts here(Scotland)you will be able to shoot on stubblesetc with lead.This is a much more sensible idea and I believe Colin Shedden of BASC Scotland had a lot to do with this so well done BASC.Also if you read a lot of wildfowling literature much is said about the ability for geese to "carry"leadshot and it wouldn`t surprise me if the "anti`s" shot ducks etc with lead and distributed them to discredit the shooting community,however as a lot of these threads show some people are,quite rightly,confused so why not adopt the Scottish solution and ban lead over "waterways"and use it over land.......`snot rocket science :lol:

What happend to inocent until proven guilty??

or does that not apply to hunters!!

Dave

:lol: Nothing happened to " innocent until proved guilty."

By having a complete ban on any wildfowl being shot with lead, anyone found shooting them with it is obviously guilty so whether it is near water or not does not come into it.

Anyway you should know by now that anybody who owns guns is considered guilty by the non shooting fraternity .

The point of the blanket ban on lead is so prosecutions can be brought without question however there is no real reason to use non toxic on foul over land other than the fact it makes policing easier

You are of course right I should and do know that anybody who owns guns is considerd guilty. All the more reason not to just roll over and take more **** or accept the **** we have been given already.

Dave

The point of the blanket ban on lead is so prosecutions can be brought without question however there is no real reason to use non toxic on fowl over land other than the fact it makes policing easier

Dave I couldn't agree more with that statement and reminds me of an incident that happened to me a few years ago.

I had been shooting over some rape and having a good day when a duck flew into the decoy pattern just like any pigeon. I shot it and had a lovely duck dinner some days later.

When this lead ban came in, I thought of this incident where I had fired over 60 lead loaded cartridges into roughly the same area all afternoon quite legally but now if that duck came into the pattern I would, by law have to change to a non toxic cartridge. :lol:

well said Ern... oh thats a new one Rarms, i dont get much time to go flighting.. always working until after dark.

Quercus, one of those 200odd SSSI's is a pond on my farm :lol: :lol: my uncle kept the shooting rights for it when he moved away so we cant shoot unless he's with us.. we have always used non-toxic on that :/ if i'm not mistaken it must be the most westernly pond in Wales.. as its 10metres from the cliff :D

Aled

" innocent until proved guilty."

Many offences commited with firearms (and the law regards anything from a 'bb' gun to a howitzer, de-acts and replicas as being covered here[table legs in carrier bags aren't technically covered, but don't walk back from the pub with one, just in case]) are known as 'absolute offences', ie; you are guilty till proven innocent, and ignorance is no defence. If your airgun is tested, and is found to be over the limit, you are guilty of possesing a section one firearm without a certificate. An airpistol over the limit would be classed as section five, along with sub-machine guns, non 22rf cal semi-autos and fully automatic weopons, you would be a menace to society and the judge would be forced to lock you up for 5 years. You evil man. And don't even think of trying to do anything with that Brocock you just found at the bottom of your gunbox, that you forgot you had. :lol:

What was this thread about? Ah, yes. Lead.

But I don't think I will be shooting at big birds that honk and quack with a shotgun just in case.

• 3 months later...
The point of the blanket ban on lead is so prosecutions can be brought without question however there is no real reason to use non toxic on foul over land other than the fact it makes policing easier

From your avatar, I presume you know all about fouls!

If you get stopped with a duck that has lead shot in it, tell them you shot it inland in Scotland!

Edited by rjimmer