this evenings outing, gained new permission

dogfox

was out this evening and was walking along a track, deviating from my permission slightly when i come across this bloke sitting smoking a pipe!! (i thought it looked priceless) i went up to him and pointed at the 5 HUGE stubble fields and asked "gooday dear sir, you dont own those fields over yonder by any chance?" :yp: he replies yes i do, so i asked could i have permission to shoot on them, "jaysus, bang away boy!! take as many as you can" :lol:

these fields were huge, and there were hundreds of pigeon and crow coming down, unfortunatly im not picking up my hide,decoys and carts til tomorow so i couldnt do anything, i had a scout around though and found an excellent spot to set up a hide.

heres the picture i took looking from the top field, theres 1 more field to the left, and the one i plan on decoying is the one sort of in the middle/left

other than gaining this great new permission the evening brought no other success as the hare that bolted was missed terribly despite it being about 10 feet away :good::yes: i suppose it wasnt his time!

post-5345-1225389725.jpg

Edited by dogfox

if you havn't already bought the carts then personally i would say go for 5's. they tend to kill better IMO.

also i don't know if you have done much pigeon crow shooting before or how much you know about it but get some movement in the pattern.

you can easily make a bouncer/floater to put dead birds on and it is well worth the 15 mins of effort. get a long but fairly thin hazel stick and using a knife make it fairly smooth so take off the stumps etc. then point both ends. also cut two small bendy bits of hazel which should fit between the elbows of the dead bird. put the dead bird on the long hazel stick the same way it fits onto a rotary and put the smaller bit of hazel between the elbows so the wings stay out and look like a flying bird. then put it 25/30 yrds behind ur pattern facing into your decoy pattern. it will symbolise a bird entering the decoys. hope im not telling you wot u already know.

good luck

ok, ill try a box of each maybe and see what works best! thanks for the advice on the bouncer thingy! ill try it if i remember! i dont know much about shooting pigeons and crows other than the very basics such as hide positioning, flight paths and how to postition decoys

Was dropped up to my local rfd this morning to buy some carts, decoys and a hide! i ended up coming away with 2 boxes of fiocchi 32g 6s and 4 full shell pigeon decoys, the hide was way too expensive with the camo netting being €65 :yes:. i said id make do with what i had, so i went off to the permission photod previously in this post at aroun 1400, set up my decoys and concealed myself in a bush. after about 10 minutes there were birds swarming over me! :yes:!! i focused on one of them that was hurtling towards me and squeezed, BAM!! and a puff of feathers! :look: :yes: finally christened my gun! the only problem was, was that when i fired, he was about 7 feet away! so his right side was entirely vaporized! so no eating that for me!.

i waited a bit longer and more came in, but no shots presented themselves so i moved the decoys to another field, this time both crows and pigeons were coming down, this huge rook started "hovering" and BAM!! straight down he went!, i finished up at 1700 with 1 pigeon and 1 crow! my first ever decoying session without a hide and only 4 decoys! :)

just a pic taken off the mobile.

as you can see the woody was fairly mangled :ernyha:

post-5345-1225474001.jpg

I used to fish like mad before i got into ferreting and shooting, but i dont go so much anymore, and if i do its only the short session with the fly rod on the rivers....stealthily may i add! :good: :good: no i have a rod licence! :good:

Hunting is my new life now, the fishing kit has gathered dust since i got the ferrets!