First fallow buck

Pedro

After seeing Highlanders efforts over the last few days, I feel a little embarrassed putting this up - but hey, I was well chuffed with it!

The main place I shoot suffered a fair amount of damage from deer last year, so the farmer asked if anything could be done. I jumped at the chance and subsequently secured my variation and a suitable firearm.

Apparently somebody used to shoot the deer on this patch and had put a few high seats up around the main areas they congregate, (mainly fallow, but some roe sneaking in now).

My cert stipulates that I shoot from a high seat for this particular patch, so wandering around for the opportune shot isn't an option.

After spending many hours sitting in the various high seats and missing the opportunity of 3 shots because of factors beyond my control, (well 2 of them :look: - too much magnification), and seeing many shootable does, on Monday, the shot finally presented itself.

I'd got into the seat at about 1500hrs and after about an hour of sitting watching what was going on, (I love it- nothing seems to see you :) ), I saw some movement on the edge of the wood, about 50yrds away.

I spotted that it was a buck, but initially he wouldn't come out from the wood. So, patiently I sat there and eventually he moved from the wood, over the headland and onto the newly sown field.

This was it, after so long I was determined that this was going to be the one, so I lined up what was really a fairly easy shot and let go a 100gr .243 Norma.

The shot went home, but to my initial dismay, instead of falling there and then, off he trotted, back into the wood. I unloaded, climbed from the high seat, reloaded and with a mate, (who was waiting in the hedge below), we went after him.

I'd marked where he went in and went straight to that point and found him lying on his side, 10 metres in, twitching, but obviously dead, (but just to make sure, gingerly did the eyeball test).

When we gralloched him, I was chuffed to bits to find that I'd got him straight through the heart.

He's now hanging by the back door ready for butchering tomorrow, (this cold weather's been a godsend), and I can see loads of tasty meals coming our way.

Although the antlers aren't all that, (esp compared to Highlanders 2), I'm going to mount them anyway as it's the 1st deer I've shot and it'll be a nice record for the future.

P.

Edited by Pedro

We've just had people round for an impromptu meal, right in the middle of loads of venison being minced/diced/sliced everywhere in the kitchen.

I cut some steaks off of one of the back legs for everyone and boy were they tasty :blink:

They've now gone off with a bag full of venison in exchange for a load of Carling - hurrah!

P.

Congratulations ! :yes:

And i always go for the experience first, thropee size always is a minor subject in my mind. Shooting hinds is just as exciting and "fun" as big bucks. So no embarrasment needed i think.

One comment though, i would wait for 5-10 minutes before searching after the shot animal. Give it time to bleed out and die. If you search for it too quickly and it is not dead yet it will jump and run away.

Fallow deer will in most cases run of with a deadly shot as they are pretty though deer. But you will find them within a 100 meters most of the time.