Hushpower .410 semi auto.

Cranfield

Does anyone have any experience of a .410 semi auto fitted with a Hushpower ?

I have heard that the displacement of "exhaust gases" stops the recycling of the cartridge.

There was an article in Sporting Gun a while back about a pigeon shooter who uses a hushed teknys.

Having said this, I'm getting a hushed mossy 500 shortly and whilst ordering it I asked the people at the Saddlery Gunroom about hushing autos. Granted we were talking about 12 bores, but the gunroom guy said that they dont like doing it, and will only go ahead with the conversion on the understanding that the customer accepts that the gun may not cycle.

Not a definative answer, but it's from the horses mouth so to speak.

ZB

There is a bloke who has a disabled hand who I saw shooting at Southdown and he had made his own 12g hushpower semi auto and it was breathtakingly quiet - no louder than a .22RF silenced. I took my ear plugs out to listen to it and you could actually hear the noise of the clays breaking above the gun.

Tosspot knows the bloke's name.

Apparently he can make these guns to order but isn't too keen on flogging them out until someone buys his patent - his hushpower baffle design is all patented up (and looks like no other silenced shotgun) but I think he wants one of the big boys to start making it en mass (and wedge him out).

I have played with your normal hushpowers before and I don't rate them - too flippin noisy.

I have heard that the displacement of "exhaust gases" stops the recycling of the cartridge.

I think that with 3" you'd be OK Cranners, the Remmy 1100 in .410 likes 3" at the best of times (I was on the verge of buying a Remmy 1100 .410 but was put off by some horror stories from a fellow owner)

The guy Mung speaks of uses a Benelli chassis and the silencer is under slung rather than being concentric so point of aim is only marginally effected, he also claims that it cycles 24gr shells all day long

I have tinkered with moderated stuff and have recently bought a fully moderated Mossy .410 which will get a good airing at the Monday Madness is brilliant fun and a very usefull tool, highly recommended

There is a bloke who has a disabled hand who I saw shooting at Southdown and he had made his own 12g hushpower semi auto and it was breathtakingly quiet - no louder than a .22RF silenced. I took my ear plugs out to listen to it and you could actually hear the noise of the clays breaking above the gun.

Tosspot knows the bloke's name.

Apparently he can make these guns to order but isn't too keen on flogging them out until someone buys his patent - his hushpower baffle design is all patented up (and looks like no other silenced shotgun) but I think he wants one of the big boys to start making it en mass (and wedge him out).

I have played with your normal hushpowers before and I don't rate them - too flippin noisy.

Tim chandler is his name.

It wont stop the gun recycling if the holes are drilled after the gas valve. Enough gas will pass down the gas valve to recycle the next round, what is left of the gas will go through the moderator.

I have tinkered with moderated stuff and have recently bought a fully moderated Mossy .410 which will get a good airing at the Monday Madness is brilliant fun and a very usefull tool, highly recommended

Is your Mossberg a semi auto, or pump ?

Pump action is one way round the potential problem.

It sounds as though Mr Chandler has a different method than the baked bean tin stuck on the end of the barrel.

I have only tried one Hushpower single 12b and it was awkward to aim/swing and made more noise than I expected.

the Mossy is a pump, and ahem I broke it today :yes:

I like 19gr Fiochi 3" but they are a bit lumpy and sometimes a bit stiff to cycle, being as hamfisted as i am i managed to pump a bit hard and snap the roll pins that operate the receiver which i will now drill out and replace with beefier ones

Mr Chandlers' design is by far and away the quietest i've ever heard and i've seen him break 23ex25 on a monster FITASC layout with it, but if you've found the Hushpower awkward then his beast is more so as the diameter of the shroud is rather on the large side, but by Jesus it is quiet