lofting poles

Guest flightline

Guest flightline

I`ve heard about lofting pigeons. How is it done please and why? I don`t fancy climbing trees and I`ve heard some people use fishing rods. How do you keep the deeks up there? :)

old pigeon shooter told me  3 in the air is worth ten on the ground as these birds can be seen further away and act as a watch over the flock or so they say must be some truth as you often see birds in trees near a good size flock,easy which i do is use full bodie pigeon cut out s shape from fence wire hook on pigeon back use fishing pole to loft or hang up tree look like pigeon borball but works well had birds come to sit in tree with them  and at this point you can then knock the new ness off them:S

You need a length of stiff wire attached to the bottom of the decoy, bent in an arc underneath and hang a weight on the bottom (such as a fishing weight or a 3/4" nut).  This works as a counterbalance to keep the decoy sat upright, rather like those rocking desk gadgets which everyone had in the 80s!

That way, the decoys stay put even in strong wind.

I will post a picture later.

I had trouble keeping mine on the branch as soon as there was any wind, i used the shop bought weighted "S" hooks.

What did work, although its a fair bit of mucking about, is to put a full bodied decoy on the end of  3 x 6' bamboo canes lashed together.

We used these in the larger thorn bushes/smaller trees.

Is there something similar out there, using perhaps fibre glass rods that slot together ?

Lofted decoys bring in pigeons. :)

I often use lofted deeks if there is a suitable tree close to where I set up. I use lofting poles made up of six 5' ali sections that slot together to give 30'. There is a crossbar that screws onto the top pole with a full bodied deek mounted on either end of it.

I also occasionally hang deeks from branches. I have a couple of pinewood 'G' hooks. There is a peg on the top of the G that plugs into the deek. The bottom of the G is a weighted counter balance. The whole lot just hangs over the branch. You get them up into the tree using the lofting poles.

In the past when shooting from ' trimmed' low hedge rows, I just placed deeks on the top of the hedge.

I have made an perch wich I mount 2 decoys on with a stiff wire loop that reaches above the deeks, that stops it falling over.

I then lob a rock with some string attached over a branch of a tree and thee tie this to the perch. This is then halled up to just below the branch. If the wire loop is wide it will rest against the branch to prevent it twisting.

An idea for the teckies among us. Hide poles that fit together to create lofting poles. Only one set of poles to do two jobs. Just a thought.

Lofted decoys work very well during the acorn season. If you have oak trees in a hedgerow loft a couple of deeks into them and set up your hide 20-25 yards away. A couple of decoys on the ground underneath add to the pattern. I'm sure they would be just as effective on the beech mast. As somebody has said already, a decoy or two on a trimmed hedge have good results.

Guest flightline

MAJ,

A good idea-why don`t you do it? Lofting poles cost c£48 a throw, which is a lot, plus it`s extra weight to carry. I made the perch descibed in a prvioyus post and that worked quite well, except my wire was too thin so it`s back to the drawing board. I also lofted some using stones tied to string. :)