old un

deny essex

Tisn't you almost a Welshman ???

Otherwise how can they say that if you screwcut a rifle it has to be proofed before you can sell it? (Cos it's out of proof)

As you just stated it has to be proofed before you can sell it :good:

under the Gun Barrel Proof Acts of 1868 to 1978, it is an offence to sell or offer for sale by auction or otherwise, any small arm, i.e. shotgun, rifle, revolver, pistol or other firearm, unless it bears lawfully impressed and valid proof marks.

You plonker David

The Proof Acts lay down that no small arm may be sold, exchanged or exported, exposed or kept for sale or exchange or pawned unless and until it has been fully proved and duly marked. The Maximum penalty is £5000 for each offence, but with provision for higher penalties where, for instance, the sale of a number of guns constitutes one offence. Alteration to or the forging of proof marks is a more serious offence.

Arms previously proved and bearing apparently valid proof marks are deemed unproved if the barrels have been enlarged in the bore beyond certain defined limits or if the barrel or action has been materially weakend in other respects.

The offence in dealing in unproved arms is committed by the seller, not by an unwitting purchaser

As you just stated it has to be proofed before you can sell it :good:

under the Gun Barrel Proof Acts of 1868 to 1978, it is an offence to sell or offer for sale by auction or otherwise, any small arm, i.e. shotgun, rifle, revolver, pistol or other firearm, unless it bears lawfully impressed and valid proof marks.

You plonker David

Robert my man. You just contradicted yourself. Earlier you said Tis okay and I said it isn't. Now you're quoting the proof laws stating that it's an offence and therefore my NO! answer is confirmed. No it isn't legal.

Are we talking at cross purposes and saying the same thing you ***? :mad:??? :(

DaveK

View Member Profile

Remove Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts Today, 08:09 PM Post #5

Ace Pigeon Shooter

Group: Members

Member No.: 2648

QUOTE (Ferret Master @ Nov 12 2008, 05:53 PM)

Is it illegal to sell an out of proof firearm.

FM

No!

--------------------

my god, the dogs

Must be an age thing dave :good:

Edited by magman

A few pics of a folding .410 sg ive had for many years, considering selling it rather than let it sit in the cabinet, barrels are out of proof but i have fired it. Any of you knowledgable restorers give me a hint on value ?

post-402-1226508929.jpg post-402-1226508943.jpg

post-402-1226508959.jpg post-402-1226509032.jpg

I have the single barrel version of the same gun and its a great bit of kit! if it is legal to sell out of proof then I would be happy to take the gun if you could throw me a figure

getting the gun proofed isnt an issue

How do you now if the barrels are out of proof?

They are obviously badly pitted?

I have exactly the same gun but with a solid stock, I paid £45 for mine.

I would be happy to pay you £45 for the cartridges you have and then you could give me the gun FOC, that way you haven't broken any laws :good:

How do you now if the barrels are out of proof?

They are obviously badly pitted?

I have exactly the same gun but with a solid stock, I paid £45 for mine.

I would be happy to pay you £45 for the cartridges you have and then you could give me the gun FOC, that way you haven't broken any laws :good:

Yes internaly the barrels arent good just bought it as an interesting piece , no cartridges used those up on another gun . Just bandying the idea of selling it to make a little more room in the cabinet, nice gun to renovate if thats someones interest.

The gun is I belive a "Poachers Gun"

The old man down by me has one. My neighbour told me the stories of them. I dont know if its official...

The gun was known as a poachers gun, it was used in 410 because it was quieter and easier to hide. The gun folded up in such a way so as it could be hiddin down a trouser leg or in a jacket.

When walkin a farm or Lords land (Or whatever :oops: ) if the walker spotted say a pheasant they would whipout there "poachers gun" and shoot it, and then take it home for tea! haha :sly:

I myself though it was a good lil story, anyone lese hear anything similar ? lol :good:

Yes internaly the barrels arent good just bought it as an interesting piece , no cartridges used those up on another gun . Just bandying the idea of selling it to make a little more room in the cabinet, nice gun to renovate if thats someones interest.

What sort of money would you be thinking of?

I would be interested