hide

bad shot

yes mate i use 4 of the wilkinson washing line supports -£2.50 each (almost identical to £50 ''hide'' poles)

and 2 small ex army cam nets i ''aquired'' from work

Hi Taff

Just had a look at those line supports, i cant belive how similar they look.Are they as solid as hide poles or do they buckle when tried to be pushed in some hard ground.Ive been saving for some poles and am very tempted by these,i think youve made a real find here.

Lee

Hi Taff

Just had a look at those line supports, i cant belive how similar they look.Are they as solid as hide poles or do they buckle when tried to be pushed in some hard ground.Ive been saving for some poles and am very tempted by these,i think youve made a real find here.

Lee

i've not had any problem pushing them into hard ground yet. although i've only been using them for a few months i don't know what they'll be like in the summer when the ground is baked hard. or winter when its frozen over. if it becomes a problem i'll just grind a point onto the bottom. the only thing i would do is cover or spray the silver bits.

Edited by Taff Mason

I bought similar poles from asda.I keep most of my kit in the car due to too many stairs to get everthing in the house,so had to chop them a little bit to fit nicely in the boot.Once cut you end up with a spare length of in and out tubes.Chucked the outer one away then flattened the end of the inner,in use pop the the cutoff into the ground then slide the rest of the pole over it once the the twist grip has been slackened off to allow the inner to adjust.

I use a screwdriver to help create a hole if the ground is hard.

Hope this lot makes sense.

Hi Again

Is the bottom solid metal so a point can be ground on.I presume they are tubular most of the way.Have you had purpose made hide poles before to compare them to ,as i havent.

Thanks Lee

yeah the bottom is hollow but if i was to cut it off on an angle i'd get a nice point. i don't know how strong the point would be yet but if needed id work out how to reinforce it. i've never had purpose made pole before, if they are better the certainly won't be £45 better if you know what i mean

yeah the bottom is hollow but if i was to cut it off on an angle i'd get a nice point. i don't know how strong the point would be yet but if needed id work out how to reinforce it. i've never had purpose made pole before, if they are better the certainly won't be £45 better if you know what i mean

I started out with the washingline poles. Put dowelling in the ends and sharpened that. worked fine, a bit heavy tho and a small rubber mallet helped to get them into the ground. (Take the inner poles out first mind!!)

Have still got them somewhere but don't use them as I shelled out for purpose made ones with kickers on-much easier and lighter.