Pigeon hide direction

pigeon master

Hello all,

Went out shooting over rape yesterday and finished with a bag of 13 birds, I was shooting the wrong side of the farm for 2 hours, a lesson learnt I think.

Went for a drive after sitting they’re getting zero shots and a found a good flock, which was walked off and the action started after a quick move.

The reason for the topic is this, I had the standard horseshoe pattern with the wind behind my back the wind was strong and a very good approach for the pigeons.

Just about every bird approached tight to the hedge on my left jumped over the hedge and made a sharp turn into the pattern, I noticed this when I first starting decoying and wished I had set up my hide facing the incoming birds as I missed a lot as they crossed the hide but being new I stayed put with the hide.

I’ve noticed that this is a common thing with pigeons, has anyone ever set their hide up to take advantage of this or do we all stay with facing the main killing area or pattern.

I reckon I would have taken, maybe another 6/7 birds out of a 13-bird morning.

Hope you get the jist of what I’m trying to explain guys.

The PM

I tend to keep my hide facing the pattern, but so it allows me to shoot 180 degrees if you understand what I mean. I remember one day I went out and the birds were overflying the pattern by thirty metres or so, then turning sharply into the pattern from another direction. It's nature I guess. But I've never set my hide up intentionally away from my pattern

i know what you mean,my best ever day was much the same.i set up on a newly drilled field with a horseshoe pattern and the birds flew down the hedge decoy side crossed over it behind me then came back decoy side further up before turning towards the pattern.maybe 70% were decoying but i left the hide,moved further up the hedge and had a true red letter day.i just crouched in the bottom of the ditch and was still close enough to the pattern to take the very rare bird that didnt follow the flight line.

Digga and Millo,

I have almost stopped using the 'horseshoe' pattern in favour of a 'L' or a straight line. The straight is particulary good when the wind is blowing hard in your face.

There are a lot of shooters in my area at the weekends ( six within a mile ) and I think that the horseshoe pattern may be associated with trouble by our feathered friends.

A lot of the shooters near me now wont use a rotary, although the peckers are being sought out, hope we dont over do them too!

LB

I have almost stopped using the 'horseshoe' pattern in favour of a 'L' or a straight line. The straight is particulary good when the wind is blowing hard in your face.

exactly what I told PM last weds when he was shooting with me I find and this is just my view mind? that if they take the bait as it were they will come in from all angles I like the L pattern particularly when the wind is blowing directly to the side of me.

cheers keith

Yep i know what you mean like a fish hook shape, with the bend of the hook as your killing zone and the long straight or hook shank as a leader to guide the birds in to the center.

Ive also had more sucess when goose shooting to put the decoys 80 yards up wind behind me rather than out in front, as the geese respond to the call they are focused on the deeks and not on me hiding in the ditch giving easy over head shooting. This works better late season when they have seen decoys 25 yards from a hedge, ditch or wall on a weekly or daily basis and only feel confident on fields where the decoys are out in the middle or a long way out.

In certain circumstances, I will site my hide anything up to 70 yards from my decoys and "ambush" the birds as they approach.

I think its important to keep an open mind and a flexible approach to hide siting and decoy layouts.

Don't be afraid to try something new or different.

One of the best days I had this year, was when pigeons wouldn't come to 40 decoys laid out enticingly, but came in readily when I reduced the layout to 2 birds.

I still don't know why, but I tried it and it worked. :D

Gents,

I'm with Cranners on this one; whatever works is right, if it's not working try something else.

Don't be afraid to radically alter the "picture" you are showing to the birds; sitting like a lemon for an hour with a duff set up isn't the best use of your time. As LB said, adapt to the conditions.

As a basic start point if I'm unsure of the flight line or haven't done a good recce. (which is unusual for me) I plonk two clumps of deeks out about 30 yards from the hide and thirty yards apart. Then I let the birds tell me if it's the right set up or not.

Normally in those circumstances I don't set the magnet up straight away, it's such a palaver moving it; I get the basic pattern right then poke the magnet in where I think it will reinforce the message.

regards

Eug

PS The "two clumps" will allow for the wind being straight in your face; with any luck the woodies will fly over your hide from your rear giving you a dropping shot a bit like number one high house at skeet.

I agree with both cran and E.M. and another good tip is (especially in this weather) to set the deeks 70-90 yds out into the field ,if the wind is strong into your facethe birdstend to go over your hide at a good height.You can also tune it so that you`re shooting L-R or R-L high crossersto suit your style or eye dominance.Give it a whirl and see :D

The straight is particulary good when the wind is blowing hard in your face.

The straight line method

Is the line going from left to right or from front to back?

I guess left to right :*)

Sorry RB, I should have made that clearer. Might try it one day if things get really slow :D

LB