rolex watches

fenn

If he got even a base model for much less than £1100 than its probably fake unless its very old or one of the Air King ones.There are plenty of pre owned ones held legitimately enough but without the papers and reciept would be dodgy.Their serial nombers might not have gone to the new owners.Valuation papers are something to look for too,they are needed for insurance.

A good (pref Rolex) dealer will have the back off and it verified in a minute.

Edited by vole21

Between the case lugs you will find a galvo number (model number) one end and a serial number the other, the serial number is 3/6 digits longer and normally start with a letter. you prob wont be able to get the back off without the correct tool without ******g it up but on the inside the galvo number will also be ther with any dates and places of services. if you take it to a rolex dealer and it is hot be prepared to lose it.

The new ones have a very small lazer etched logo on the bottom of the glass.

I have an Omega. I would like a Rolex but the recent price increase across the whole range made a very expensive watch a bit to expensive.

Harry

I got a used one in Saudi Arabia and sold it on return.I bought a GMT Master mk 1 for £1050 with the cash and could sell it now for about £1800. I dont care about copies and dont think there is anything wrong with them. They probably keep better time than the real thing. Breitling and Tag Heuer are top drawer watches too. I recently got my mate from Oz onto an Oyster for £1100 and it is pristine.

I dress like a tramp in the main and definitely am no show off. Its a personal thing and a reminder that I did once make decent money and my kid can flog it when i am in my box.Its the only thing I own that I can say is a hand crafted masterpiece and wear it most days.

Hiya

For what its worth - you could get the case number from under the bracelet and give Rolex in Bexley a call - if its a genuine watch it is likely to have had a service, presuming of course its not practically new, at some stage and they keep a record of such matters.

The other watches mentioned are pretty good too but with particular Rolex watches, Sub-date in steel, Daytona in steel, there is a waiting list usually (upto 5 years for a Daytona in this country) so you will always get your money and then some back after enjoying wearing them for many years........

That's not true, any more. If the real watch has a swooping hand, the fakers can make the copy do the same. Just because the second hand "swoops", doesn't prove it's real.

Also Rolex do do a quartz (battery) operated one. They are rare and no one wants them because they look monkey.

Best bet is to take it to a genuine Rolex dealer and get it properly checked out and also ask for an insurance valuation.

The best way to suss the age is the "tightness" of the bracelet and the links however I do know that lots of dealers pay the couple of hundred quid to get banged out bracelets reset and the watch serviced / polished and then sell them on as "nearly new" for a lot more money. Also do not under any circumstances consider buying one that doesn't have crystal glass. The chunky sub mariner this that and the other watches date quickly and make you look like a car dealer and the full on gold ones get torn off wrists.

I lived in China and saw every level of copy available. Copies sweep and look good but you can tell just by picking them up that they're knock-offs. There's no weight or substance to them and they just feel cheap. I've got loads and none last more than a few weeks of constant use: the mechanism is weak and breaks after winding it a few times.

Still, they're a good piece of bling while they last.

Edited to add:

Plain models, including Submariners, are fine as long as you don't have girly, effeminate wrists. If you want a non-descrip, regular watch, buy a Swatch.

Edited by Flashman

cheers for the replies i'll send on all of the info to my mate, but i don't think he's been given the answer that he's looking for. Basically this watch that he's got looks and feels like the real deal, it's heavy, very well made, has a sweeping second hand and has all of the relevant stamps in all of the right places. The only thing is there is a good chance that it may be 'warm' (apprentley it was robbed off a drug dealer, who's now dead, several years ago, so who knows where he got it from originally). :yp: :yes:

Edited by fenn