Pigeon Pie with Port and Juniper

Beardo

made this at the weekend, absolutely knocked my taste buds socks off - very tasty bit o'pie

***note*** i've now modified this a bit to suit more people's taste (and my own)

Pigeon Pie with Port and Juniper

150 ml red wine

2 tablespoons (30 ml) port

8 juniper berries, crushed

2 tablespoons (30 ml) vegetable oil

8 pigeon breasts (4 pigeons worth)

25 g butter

1 tablespoon plain flour

1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil

1 onion, finely chopped

4 rashers streaky bacon, rinds removed, chopped

450 g stewing steak, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes

175 g flat mushrooms, thickly sliced

few sprigs of parsley, chopped

1/2 tsp dried thyme

350 g shortcrust pastry

1 egg yolk

1. Mix together wine, port, juniper berries and oil for the marinade and season with freshly ground black pepper. Cut pigeon breasts into large pieces. Put Pigeon and steak into a non-metallic dish, pour over the marinade, cover. Leave in fridge overnight.

2. Melt the butter and oil in a frying pan, add the onion and bacon and fry gently for 4 minutes. Sprinkle with the flour then fry for 1 more minute. Remove with a slotted spoon, reserve.

3. Remove meat from the marinade, drain. Reserve marinade. Increase heat and fry the pigeon and the steak in batches, sealing on all sides.

4. Put the pigeon, steak, onion and bacon into a 2 pint (1.25 litre) pie dish and top with the mushrooms. Sprinkle with herbs, pour over the reserved marinade.

5. Roll out the pastry to 1/4 inch (5 mm) thick, put a pie funnel into the dish. Cut a 1/2 inch (1 cm) strip of pastry and place around the edge of the dish. Brush with water and top with the remaining pastry. Use the pastry trimmings to decorate the top of the pie. Brush the top with the egg yolk.

6. Bake at Mark 4 (180°C) 350°F for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to Mark 2 (150°C) 300°F and cook for a further 1 1/2 hours. Cover the pastry with foil if it browns too much during cooking.

Serves 5 - 6

Edited by nickbeardo

Thanks for the recipe! :lol:

Haven't really got into shooting pigeons properly yet as I can only do it when my mum is work - she doesn't agree with it you see.

But now I'll have good excuse! Did make HenryD's pigeon stroganoff once and she didn't comment on where I got the meat (first time i cooked at home you see haha!)

Sounds F-A-B. ;)

well lads/lasses, i gave this pie recipe a try today (thanks nick) it was well worth the effort.i followed the recipe to the letter and would you believe it,the chuck steak was tough.the pigeon was A1 just crumbled in the mouth but it wasnt a dry crumble i must add.im not being crittical now but for my taste buds(smoker) on the next pie i make i think i will add a few extra juniper berrys and drain some of the juices off after cooking and add some thickener to make a realy nice gravy. but it gets my 10/10.i would like to ask tho nick. where on earth did you find this discovery any more like it mate keep them coming.paul

i'm not sure where it came from originally, i've had it in my big folder of recipes for ages. As with any recipe, i find it's best to make it as it says the first time, then tailor it to your own tastes.

Incidentally i was reading an article in the latest Sporting Shooter yesterday about Juniper and that Juniper poisoning can cause miscarriage, so worth avoiding if you're preggers!

Did a bit more research on Juniper and came across this as well (from Wikipedia)

Juniper berries act as a strong urinary tract disinfectant if consumed and were used by American Indians as a herbal remedy for urinary tract infections. Western tribes combined the berries of juniperus communis with Berberis root bark in a herbal tea to treat diabetes. Clinical studies have verified the effectiveness of this treatment in insulin-dependent diabetes. Compounds in these plants when combined and ingested have been shown to trigger insulin production in the body's fat cells, as well as stabilize blood sugar levels. Native Americans also used juniper berries as a female contraceptive. The 17th Century herbalist physician Nicholas Culpeper recommended the ripened berries for conditions such as asthma and sciatica, as well as to speed childbirth.

Fascinating stuff!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I've got the meat in the fridge marinading in preperation for making this tonight.

One question, I've never used juniper berries and could only find dried ones in Tesco.

Is this what you're supposed to use or can you get fresh ones?

It didn't smell very 'junipery' so I put 12 in rather than 8.

Nial.

That was great, I will definitely do it again, I'd have given it 8.5/10 if I'd been served

that in a restaurant.

I messed up the pastry slightly, I was doing things from memory and put the 1cm strip on

top of the main cover instead of round the side first. I think this meant the pastry

didn't seal the contents and I lost quite a bit of moisture, but I'll get it right next

time.

I don't think that 12 juniper berries was too much, although I might cut it down to

10 just in case next time.

Nial

• 1 month later...
health food shops might sell them, i got mine from a great little market stall we have that sells all sorts of herbs, spices etc.

here's some if you can't find them locally....

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/...rries__15g.html

Thanks for the link, do you think it will make a big difference if you left the juniper berries out? what sort of flavour do they give? Ive not tried them before!!