Lofting Poles

seisobs

Thinking about getting some lofting poles for when I get home as most of my permissions have woods beside open fields, I have never seen them used before and would not have a clue how to put the deeks on the branches.

Are they worth the expence?

Any info would be greatly appreaciated.

Cheers

Jake.

I used to have a set of hide poles that would double for lofting poles . Thet were a bit wobbley when all the poles were attatched together but would do the job .Dont know if you can still buy them .Have seen them made from drain rods and the best set i saw were made from a fishing pole . It allways seem esay to loft the coys but a pig to get them down .Nearly allways have resort to shooting the branch they are sitting on . Lofters can be excellent pullers in the right situation . Harnser .

if its any help,i use a 9 metre telescopic fishing pole.i have taken the hooks off coathangers and sprayed them lightly with barbecue paint(very dull black paint) and pre drilled a pilot hole in the back of a full bodied pigeon decoy,then i force the threaded part of the coathanger into the decoy.when i set my magnet and patern out i put about 6 or so decoys up in a few trees,usualy on the corner of the field i have set up on.this seems to bring in pigeons from fields that are holding feeding birds if they get spooked or are looking for a safe tree to roost up in and digest there crop.i know it is more kit to carry and it is a bit of fannying about but it does work for me,you dont have to use the full 9 metres just put the decoys up at randome heights

I too use fishing poles , Just 2 with a full bodied decoy placed a few metres apart have all ways proved to save the day , ,

The poles compact to a 1 mtre length and in a rod sleve, are worth the effort for me ,

A personal choice as you can see by the posts , POW!.

I bought some poles years ago, never used them & recently sold them on.

Tele' fishing rod is lighter but not enough reach.

I've yet to see a Pigeon in a hedge but my permission has Silver Birch trees around the bourders & they are low enough to reach.

A few well away from the hide is best, use a bent coathanger with a fishing wieght on the bottom to help keep the deek upright.

A bird on the ground may be feeding & saying come & join me but is very wary.

Up the tree there safe.

As the saying goes, run like a deer, think like a fox.

POW.like you i used to just mount the decoy on the pole then push the pole up through the tree but the poles i used where silver and brown so they would have needed either sanding down to bare fibreglass or spraying,i didnt do either i just placed the decoy on the pole and hooked it over a thinnish branch,where they can bounce and move around in the wind

POW.like you i used to just mount the decoy on the pole then push the pole up through the tree but the poles i used where silver and brown so they would have needed either sanding down to bare fibreglass or spraying,i didnt do either i just placed the decoy on the pole and hooked it over a thinnish branch,where they can bounce and move around in the wind

If I am out for a few hours decoying from a hide I always position the hide next to a bare tree where I can loft a few decoys - I've always found that half a dozen lofters and 15 deeks on the ground is about right.

The lofters seem to be a comfort factor for incoming pigeons - the scene resembling pigeons in the trees that have been fed and comfortable, whilst their mates are on the ground feeding. Also, the lofters in the bare tree can be easier for them to see than the deeks amongst the rape.

I agree with Harnser that the lofters can sometimes be a pain to get down, but practice and the right shape of stiff wire suspender can help enormously.

Yes, carrying lofting poles can be a pain, but I normally shoot with a mate anyway, and we split the load between us.

I think that the make of pole that I use is Parsons, made from light alloy.

Don

I use lofters regularly. Their main use is to entice the birds down to the killing area. There's no need to try and make them to look like they are sitting in a tree or hedge, just placing the pole near to said hedges is enough.

I've found them to be a definite advantage as they attract birds in high flight or from distances where the deek area cant be seen.

Useful bits of kit.

Thanks for the useful info guy's. :good:

I will buy a set of poles and some hangers from our sponsors b4 I get home so I can get out and try them once I have recovered from the jet lag.

Back to the basics on using lofting poles: Am I correct in saying that you attach the full bodied deek to the hanger, screw the hanger to the poles, hang the deek on a branch and unscew the hanger from the poles?

At the end of the day to remove the deeks from the branches I will have to position the poles so that I can screw them back into the bottom of the hanger?

It sounds Very difficult to do if the deeks are 20 - 25 ft up in the trees, is there a proven way of doing this or is it just hope you can snag it first time.

As I say, I haven't got a clue how to do it, your comments / tips on this will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Jake.

Well like dodge, I just use them to atract the birds into the area in the first place ,

I only use 2 , as when the birds see the propper patern the ones in the tree are ignored , [ some times they land in the tree ] , and usualy come into the mock feeding birds ,

I belive the more realistic you make the decoyed area the better your sucsess , and once more can not stress just how important actual watching a patch is beforehand,

As I usualy walk my land almost daily maybe I dont realise I am actualy doing a recce? some mornings in over an hour I may not fire a shot ,but, allways looking and learning , 60 years on the same land and still I dont know it all , maybe I am just a "Duffer" . The joy is as strong as ever though . POW!

PS , I shot 2 this morning , [ enough for a feed in the week] , and opened the crops to see what they were feeding on , NOT Acorns or maize ,or rape leaves , BUT , Clover !! a while since that was a regular , SO another lesson into what makes pigeon steer clear of the rape fields CHOICE!! to feel free to feed as they like ,

GREAT hobby this , NO ONE knows it all !!! POW!

Well POW, I have only been at it for a year so I have still lots to learn. :good:

Well; what JOY,s you have before you , At one with nature , Fresh air , a rival worthy of ANY shooter the humble Pigeon! , a food fit for kings , and some of the grumpiest old **** s , you are likely to meet . YOU HAVE CHOSEN WELL! POW! .

If I am out for a few hours decoying from a hide I always position the hide next to a bare tree where I can loft a few decoys - I've always found that half a dozen lofters and 15 deeks on the ground is about right.

The lofters seem to be a comfort factor for incoming pigeons - the scene resembling pigeons in the trees that have been fed and comfortable, whilst their mates are on the ground feeding. Also, the lofters in the bare tree can be easier for them to see than the deeks amongst the rape.

I agree with Harnser that the lofters can sometimes be a pain to get down, but practice and the right shape of stiff wire suspender can help enormously.

Yes, carrying lofting poles can be a pain, but I normally shoot with a mate anyway, and we split the load between us.

I think that the make of pole that I use is Parsons, made from light alloy.

Don

this is just a bare faced lie. :good: today all don carried was the mince pies and a flask.