Pigeon Flight Lines and Roosting Woods

James Dixey

I have been so encouraged by the response to my last Topic on how to kill large numbers on Rape, that here comes another!

I want to learn more about Flight Lines and Roosting Woods so here are some questions

1 An experienced Pigeon Shooter told me 25 years ago that there were historic flight lines across Kent, which were similar to 'Motorways' for us car drivers which Pigeons use all the time and then branch off from those 'Motorways' onto the smaller 'A and B' roads to get to their feeding grounds. He said they used tall navigational points to get from point to point. This sounds an attractive idea but I have never found the Motorways in my area (East Kent), so remain unconvinced that I am looking for something that is there to find

2 Does a Pigeon use the same limited number of Roosting Woods or does his choice of Roosting Wood entirely depend on where he is feeding? Will they prefer to go back to their favourite wood if it is not too far? And how far is too far?

3 How far will pigeons travel from where they were born? Has anybody any real evidence from ringing young birds? I have heard all sorts of theories but no concrete evidence.

4 Does anybody regularly use the tactic of getting to the Roosting Wood b4 dawn and then following the flight line out of it to find the preferred feeding grounds? Again, sounds a very sensible thing but I have tried it twice, got very cold and obviously chose the wrong woods to watch! Advice and experience of this would be much welcomed.

5 What are the characteristics of the best Roosting Woods? (I have managed to get permission in 2 small ones on drained marshland where they are the only woods for miles; I have been killing 30-40 per roost out of about 500 that came in each evening. Is this good? I have no idea of what is possible shooting a really good roost)

I hope the above will start another good thread and we will all learn

James Dixey

East Kent

James ,

I am convinced that pigeons and other birds are capable of navigating by the use of the natural lay lines that traverse the whole of the country . They are capable of tuning into these lay lines that have been there since time began and to follow them . I have a friend who can dowse for water amongest other things and recons that he can detect the lay lines with dowsing rods . Dont underestimate wild animals they are more attuned to the wild enviroment than we will ever be . Harnser .

More from Kent - excellent.

They do follow the same lines and i take quite a few on the flight lines at Wingham they follow a wood next to a stream,at Richborough the cross a junction of trees to within 50 yards,so yes i think they do.

As to the numbers that appear when you want them to - well thats pigeons for you.

Undoubtably pigeons do follow prescribed flightlines, sometimes its very "visible" like along the lea of a valley, or a tree line, a river/canal or even pylon lines, other times the landmarks can be a good distance apart.

I don't know about "motorways" and "A & B roads", the flight lines I am aware of are quite strong ones and rarely deviated from.

IMO pigeons do have favourite roosting woods, these are normally quite sheltered and have some conifers or ivy clad trees in them.

Thinly planted woods, in exposed areas are usually avoided.

When on new ground I find the best roost woods by observing the birds at roosting time.

Spend a few afternoons watching where the birds go, rather than trying to get up early enough to find out where they come from.

30-40 birds shot by one gun on a roost shoot is very, very good.

Usually the shot/kill ratio is worse than when decoying, either because you usually have a short time to see the bird, firing through branches, or the birds are tossing and twisting in the wind (windy weather is the best for roost shooting IMO).

All the above advice is true , however flight lines over the estate hers have changed somewhat in the last few years due I belive to motorway work , ,

The established flight lines here have been here long before myself or my father shot here , I have noticed the follow the pylon lines more now , veering off to roost in the woods ,

On the topic of roosting [ my favourite as I get older] I have noticed an increase in Grey Squirrel s have disturbed the roosting birds , and on some mornings have foung carcased in the dreys , [ Ever tried to shoot through one!!!] ,

I all ways leave off shooting a roost before actual dark , I know its tempting if a bad day or crows come in , but, belive its better overall . [ One reason a guy lost his permission here!] ,

My only times I have shot over 100 pigeon was roost shooting, After carrying them home , plucking dressing and freezing them , ENOUGH is as good as a FEAST!! , POW!

I believe the most important thing for a roosting wood is that its safe , quiet , has reasonably large trees for the area and sheltered. Years ago I often noticed a flight line involving 100s and sometimes 1000s of birds crossing the southern edge of the wash \ river Ouse channel and heading towards Sutton Bridge. The nearest Woods in the direction they came from was Sandringham ( In know a lot of new woods have been planted across the fen fields now , but they were not there in the 1970s ) . those birds had flown 9-10 miles to cross the river and god knows how much further they intended to go.

The trouble with ringing wood pigeons is so little of it has been done. Most years less than a 1,000 ( compared to 50,000 + blue tits ) are ringed in the UK. Adults are hard to catch by normal methods ( mist netting ) and at least half of the ringed birds are nestlings which have a high mortality upon leaving the nest ( predation ect ). So there are very few ringed wood pigeons flying about our countryside.Being that wood pigeons are such a major pest species I am surprised that DEFRA have not wanted more research into them as large numbers could be caught using the same methods as used to catch waders and geese ( cannon nets ).According to the limited ringing returns most wood pigeons stay in the locality where they have hatched. But Many of have noticed big fluctuations in numbers as birds move around the country and its been well documented that mass arrivals sometimes occur on the East coast. I have a mate on the North Sea oil rigs who recons some years he sees 100s passing over in the autumn.

My personal theory about wood pigeons is they are nomadic. Where they find good feeding and safe roosting they will stay , but moving on if the feed runs low or better feeding is available elsewhere. Having moved they may stay for some time , perhaps years , before they or their offspring move on again.

Unless you have very good roads I think you would have trouble following flocks leaving the roosting woods at dawn unless they are not going far.

The good thing with woodpigeon, and other birds such a duck for example, is that as soon as you think you have them sussed they take the "Hit and miss" out of you and do the reverse.

The longer you spend out in the field the better you get at second guessing what the birds in "your" area are likely to do. Other than that and saying wind/aid pressure/sun/shooting/RAF pilots will also affect a flightline :oops:

Second you there Henry,

Got my eye right in last summer, was killing 98% of pigeons decoying every time out. then the harvest came - ploughing etc. for some reason - even though l was going as frequently to the 'right' places - which had obviously changed form the days on laid barley etc. couldn't get onto them for weeks - then l caught up - then promptly lost it completely with the drilling - thats why l love it so much - tests you intelliegence everytime you are out!

flight lines l find are usually distingushing marks in the landscape - holes in hedges - tall trees - gateways - particular types of trees oddly! They change on the wind, weather and temprature - Sometiumes its best to sit on them, other best to stay away!!