PW National Day for Grey Squirrel & Wood Pigeon

webber

On our shoot we shall probably meet around 10 am, and have a small working party for a couple of hours, followed by lunch.

We shall then have a couple of hours shooting out the Grey Squirrel dreys, and hopefully shoot any greys which show themselves.

At around 3am we shall take up positions in the various woods ready to tackle the woodies as they come in.

We shall repeat the same format each Saturday in February, as we did last year. Its amazing just how much work a group of blokes can do in just a couple of hours. Its also a good oppertunity to work off a few pounds put on over the Christmas festivities.

We have no Red Squirrels on our shoot, but it would be worthwhile doing a recce a week or two beforehand. If you do have reds and greys, under no circumstances poke or shoot out the dreys.

Some members may choose a slightly different format, maybe a fox drive or two.

The main objective is to get as many guns as possible out, to inflict as much damage as possible to the Grey Squirrel population before they get the chance to breed. Remember one female can produce 18 kits in a single year. The greater the number of guns out as the light starts to fade will help to keep the pigeon on the move, and hopefully all participants will have a most enjoyable day out.

Will you be there?

Why not post and let us know what you are planning, rugby matches excepted.

webber

• 1 month later...

Just a reminder for 14th. February.

Time to find out who's available, sort out the poking poles, or check how many heavy cartridges you have if you are going to shoot out the dreys.

If you have RED SQUIRRELS in your area DONOT poke or shoot out dreys, as they could contain REDS.

Please post below if you will be taking part, and indicate approximately how many will be in your group.

webber

• 3 weeks later...

1 crow :welcomeani:. covered a total of 16.5 miles....saw 4 foxes, all out of range, dozens of pigeon and grey crows but i just got 1 poxy crow!!!!, was hoping for woodies for dinner!! and the funniest thing was that he landed in a tree right next to me as i was packing everything into the car!! i just popped a 6 in and bam!!

Edited by dogfox