Dog problem no2 - constant scratching

darren m

my other dog is a bitch collie 10 years old and brill.

recently she as started to scratch her self and finally as took to biting and pulling her fur causeing a few patches and scabs etc :lol: .

at first i suspected a parasite ie flea or lice :good: , maybe bought in by my lab , who as been in and out of the vets a lot recently.

SO i,ve wormed them both with Drontal XL , and gave them a double dose de-flea of spot on ( vet grade ) from manor pharmacy.

that was nearly 2 weeks ago and shes still scratching .

what can be the cause of this scratching etc :good: , any ideas please :lol:

i,m getting desperate i,ve even given her a few doses of piroton just incase its an allergy .

any advice welcomed

thanks

You might want to get a vet to take a look at her,but in mean time try bathing her in an anti-flea shampoo and leaving it to soak on her for 5 minutes before rinsing.Although its not the season for them-check her all over for ticks.If you find one,dont yank it off because it will leave behind its mouth and infection will then set in.Either smother the entire tick in vaseline wait for it to drop off (it suffocates) or using one of them small droplet thingies you use for ears-put a tiny drop of nail varnish remover on it and it'll dissolve.You can get plastic tick removal tools from most pet shops too.

The best anti flea remedy i know of is this one,but it needs a prescription from your vet.

Another option if parasistes isnt the cause is allergies.This however is an expensive route to take and i personally feel a vet may try to push this upon you before other avenues have been explored.My sis has a dog with chronic allergies and its so far cost her hundreds.The dogs scratching is slowly being brought under control using injections,but will need them for rest of life.

I know this is a different animal but one of our cats has a flea allergy which makes her scratch so much the skin is raw.

The vet gives her some sort of steroid injection maybe every 6+ months and it goes away completely.

They said she doesn't have to have fleas to get it even one going on her skin could start it off.

It didn't start till she was about 8 years old.

It would be worth asking the vet.

Mange is a mite which goes under the skin and lays eggs causing the dog to loose hair scratch and bite themselves.

From my own experience when a dog has mange it tends to affect the following areas-

chin, ear flaps, back of the legs, chest and the elbows.

There are a few different types of mange some are contagious some are not but if you have another dog best to get to the vet before they are both infected.

• 2 weeks later...

right update -- on inspection the vet said , he could not detect a parasite or cause for this really bad dandruff in both my dogs coats.

he sold me some shampoo :sly: and said give them a good grooming ( which i do anyway :birthday: ).

so i,ve shampoo'd the dogs and gave them a good groom BUT its still there , theres a lot LESS scratching ( which is good ) still a little bit but no where near as much .

I am wondering as the vet got it wrong , how can 2 different dogs have the same skin problem if it is not a parasite :friends:

what do you think :drinks:.

thanks all .

thats a good question mate .

i did change there food yes :sly: for a while to a low fat one "CHUDLEYS LITE" to try and get a few pounds off the lab because of his leg problem , when normally i would feed them chudleys classic or the vat free Gilpa .

there back on there old stuff now though and have been for about 2/3 weeks . looking back at the dates it would have started while they where on the LITE food :birthday:

Edited by darren m

might have something to do with the food but probably only if it had a certain oil content, have you changed shampoos around that time or washing powder if you wash their beds?

Odds are it'll just clear up but as you say odd that its happened to both