which 20g shotgun?

jammy1800

With no disprespect to people who think/own different, I think that the Silver Pigeon really is the finest factory 20b O/U available. I'd scrimp and save to get one if I were you, as everything else just feels clunking compared to it. Try one alongside a Lanber, and you'll see what I mean.

Looking on Gun Trader, if you can stretch to £750, I'd steer you towards the two Miroku MK60 Grade-1s on offer. They will hold their value far better than a Yildiz/Bettinsoli/Lanber/Lincoln.

The best gun is the gun that fits you best.

NEVER NEVER buy a gun because of brand / wood / price or mates recommendation.

ONLY buy the gun within your budget that fits you the best.

If you can't judge gun fit yourself, take some-one with you who knows when you buy, or get some good lessons with the specific purpose of understanding gun fit.

A £100 baikal that fits you will score better than a £10,000 Perazzi that doesn't

The best gun is the gun that fits you best.

NEVER NEVER buy a gun because of brand / wood / price or mates recommendation.

ONLY buy the gun within your budget that fits you the best.

If you can't judge gun fit yourself, take some-one with you who knows when you buy, or get some good lessons with the specific purpose of understanding gun fit.

A £100 baikal that fits you will score better than a £10,000 Perazzi that doesn't

Absolutely spot on, Sir. Couldn't have said it better myself! :good:

sorry to steal your thread , but as im looking to apply for a SGC and was wondering how much of a difference is the range of a 20 bore and recoil compared to a 12 ? thanks Ryan

it depends what cartridges you are using for range, i would say range isn't the issue it is more the spread. as for recoil that depends quite a bit on type and weight of gun. If you are an adult new to the sport i would go for a 12 but if you are younger or want something new, lighter and bit more challenging consider a 20.

thats my view and i am no expert however

Recoil is a direct relationship between the static weight of the gun and the pressure of the powder in the cartridge.

Like for like in the cartridge, a 20b will be lighter and therefore recoil more.

That being said, I always advise shooting with light carts, using 24g in a 12b for everything, and if you wanted a light gun to carry, just use 21g carts for next to no recoil in a 20b

Still dont understand why so many guys get their gals a 20b and then stick 28g in it, and wonder why the gals then dont like shooting it! Give the gals a short stocked, 26" 12b and put 24g in it, they will have excellent balance on the gun, with less forward wt than a 30" 20b, and also feel less recoil.

Same advice goes for any guys worried about recoil and gun wt in a 12b, stick to a shorter barrelled 12b for balance, and light loads for recoil.

Recoil is a direct relationship between the static weight of the gun and the pressure of the powder in the cartridge.

Like for like in the cartridge, a 20b will be lighter and therefore recoil more.

That being said, I always advise shooting with light carts, using 24g in a 12b for everything, and if you wanted a light gun to carry, just use 21g carts for next to no recoil in a 20b

Still dont understand why so many guys get their gals a 20b and then stick 28g in it, and wonder why the gals then dont like shooting it! Give the gals a short stocked, 26" 12b and put 24g in it, they will have excellent balance on the gun, with less forward wt than a 30" 20b, and also feel less recoil.

Same advice goes for any guys worried about recoil and gun wt in a 12b, stick to a shorter barrelled 12b for balance, and light loads for recoil.

plus the 12b is cheaper for cartridges than the 20b

I bought a secondhand Browning Medallist O/U ejector a few months back for just under £400...it's a really well balanced gun, light to carry around all day, no complaints whatsoever.

I tried Lanbers, Fabarms, Yildiz, Lincolns, (you name it) before buying but the Medallist seemed to be a far better gun, and I must say it suits me down to the ground.

I always shot a 12 bore previously and can honestly say that the recoil, even with 28 gram cartridges, seems to be a lot less than a 12 bore.