Anyone trap live rabbits?

My parents have about four and a half acres of land and when I was younger I used to shoot rabbits there with my air rifle. I haven't seen a rabbit there for at least ten years now and was wondering if I could re introduce them again? The old burrows are still there. I have been to a local auction to have a look at buying a couple of doe's and bucks with a view to releasing them and ideally they will breed, (lop eared and Dutch varieties would earn me a ********** from my parents).

I have just watched the kill it cook it eat it rabbits episode and seen the gamekeeper trapping rabbits.

This made me wonder if anyone on here in the North West traps live rabbits or knows someone who does with a view to them selling me a few in an attempt to get them breeding again?

Any help appreciated, Paul.

im no expert but its my understanding that reintroducing rabbis to the wild woud be a VERY BIG NO NO!against the law and all that jaz!

i look forward to an experts input but id think you'd be every farmers no.1 bad guy!

i myelf thought about keeping rabbits in hutches for the fur and meat but it seems silly when i can go out and shoot the 'free range' ones!

cheers

sam

I think it's illegal, sorry! It's definitely illegal to release captured squirrels, so it must be the case with bunnies too, they do far more trouble than squirrels do!

You could try enticing them back with a bit of food, but remember it's illegal to bait an animal to kill it, so just check that they're happily settled in and a couple of generations in. Do remember you're not going ot see many at this time of the year, give it a few months.

i thought it was a legal requirement of a landowner to control rabbits. i was just going off that.

come on, someone help

sambu

Yes it is. I would add that he should check that his land doesn't sit next to a big crop, as the farmer wouldn't be happy.

Personally I'd just find somewhere else to shoot.

Releasing a pest species is illegal: check the Pest act 1954 and Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981. As an arable farmer, if I was cropping land adjoining your parents' boundary, I would make a definite point of killing every rabbit that emerged from those 4.5 acres. Particularly if they looked like released domestic breeds. I'd then claim for crop loss. With wheat selling forward at £153/tonne and a breeding pair of rabbits allegedly able to produce 95 wheat-munching offspring per year, you would be extremely unpopular with local farmers.

In answer to the topic question though, I do trap live rabbits. We have to in a couple of locations where firearms, ferrets, gas and Rodenators aren't appropriate. Fairly tedious stuff.

Wonder why the colony died out? I suppose gassing would eradicate them. If it was an all-out Mixymatosis epidemic, then there may well be a chance that any re-introduction would result in the same thing.

Might be an illegal situation in various ways, though, as already mentioned.

I'm sure lots of people release unwanted pets though, but probably not with the intention of starting a new bunny colony to be used for sporting purposes.