Lead???

mark_mjs93

im currently working on making my first preist and i was planning on weighting it with lead, well the thing i would like to ask is...

1. how much lead should i use to weight it...

2. were do i get the lead to melt down... (i was thinking of going to my local tackle shop and getting some big lead sea fishing weights and melting them down what do you think?)

and the last thing was.. how should i weight it.. i was thinking of drilling out a whole at the top of the priest and then filling it with the lead, but has anyone got any tips, and tips on melting would bee helpful, i have been told i should use something like a small empty paint tin, this work???

how do you guys do it???

When I made my priest I just drilled a hole in the end. I then melted some lead in an old tablespoon over a candle and poured it in.

One sea weight will be more than enough. :shifty:

Job done.

FM :blink:

well ill go in and buy a few (for future preists) this one should be good, ill keep you guys posted

Mark

:good:

Be very wary when melting and pouring lead, any and I do mean any moisture will cause the molten lead to blow back on you and will scar you for life.

Personally I don`t use lead in either of my priests, however if I was to do it I would use a round cross section lead weight of 5 oz and cut the last inch off and drill the wood/antler to size then araldite it into place.

Be very wary when melting and pouring lead, any and I do mean any moisture will cause the molten lead to blow back on you and will scar you for life.

Personally I don`t use lead in either of my priests, however if I was to do it I would use a round cross section lead weight of 5 oz and cut the last inch off and drill the wood/antler to size then araldite it into place.

henry what do you use in your preists? just wondering the reason i said lead was becuase it was all i could think of so anyway what do you use??? to add the weight i mean...

happy shooting

Mark

:lol:

I did this exact thing!used wood that wasnt fully dry and got a face full of molten lead! it was very painfull and unsightly for a couple of weeks, the only thing that stoped me being scarred is that i realised just as it was gunna hpped and shut my eyes, i also ran and dunked my head in a water trough instantly!

youve been warned twise lol, id either glue some weight on like above or get some small shot and fill your hole with that!

cheers

sambu

I did this exact thing!used wood that wasnt fully dry and got a face full of molten lead! it was very painfull and unsightly for a couple of weeks, the only thing that stoped me being scarred is that i realised just as it was gunna hpped and shut my eyes, i also ran and dunked my head in a water trough instantly!

youve been warned twise lol, id either glue some weight on like above or get some small shot and fill your hole with that!

cheers

sambu

HAHA sambu be as careful as you can wording things like that it could get you in to some real trouble :yes: but i get the picture... im still not sure what to use anyone got something to recomend???

god i have had a few incidents involving water troughs :S ???

Happy Shooting

Mark

:lol:

To avoid the potential safety issues with molten lead you could obtain some scrap lead flashing, this can be cut into strips, and inserted into the hole that you have drilled. When the weight feels right, seal the strips in with Araldite or similar.

An alternative would be brass rod of equal size to the drilled hole, cut to length, and epoxy into place.

webber

A priest does not need to be heavy, mine in my trout bag is a piece of wood with a piece of brass on the end probably about 5/8" dia and about 1 1/2" long.

It only need to be heavy enough and hard enough to impart a sharp blow to the head, you do not need to cave the head in.

I just cut the crimp off 2 or 3 cartridges and pour the lead shot into a suitably sized channel drilled into the priest. Once the desired weight is reached I just Araldite the top up leaving enough space for a small wood cap to finish it off! :D

I like that idea as well.

webber

as an ex fishing lead maker ,be very very careful with molten lead ,any moisture will cause molten lead to explode,if you are pouring into a tube it becomes a molten lead cannon -fumes -need to be well ventilated-eye goggles are a must,use a cast iron meltin pan only or for very small amounts a crimped tin , be really carefullmate your burns do not need burns on them ,make a few i will fill them up for you one weekend.derek

henry what do you use in your preists? just wondering the reason i said lead was becuase it was all i could think of so anyway what do you use??? to add the weight i mean...

Nothing, a priest of solid wood doesn`t need it IMHO, unless you are killing animals larger than a hare with it. I use a pool cue and a nice turned wooden priest made by my friend Willie.

I do believe that if you put a small amount of oil in the hole before you pour the lead, it will prevent the problems of it steaming up and blowing back out. You could also mold some plastersine round the hole to create a funnel which might make it easier to pour. hope this is usefull.

lead can be very nasty. i make weights for the carp fishing guys, then powder coat them. every thing must be bone dry, i heat all my moulds in the oven before i start pouring.

or a priest i would drill your hole in the priest. then take the drill out the chuck and turn it over and push it into either plasticine or modeling clay. then make sure its all dry and use this as your moulds. they will be fine for a one off. the lead you can melt with an old tea pot or a ladle. i use a camp ring as this means i can do the smelly bit outside as the fumes are not good for you.

pop into you local tire fitters and ask for any old wheel weights or if you know a roofer then ask him. fishing weights are not cheap from a shop. for a 2oz carp lead your looking at £2 each.

you can then cut to size with a hand saw and glue in place.

hope this is of use.

Phil

I just cut the crimp off 2 or 3 cartridges and pour the lead shot into a suitably sized channel drilled into the priest. Once the desired weight is reached I just Araldite the top up leaving enough space for a small wood cap to finish it off! :good:

Be very careful when melting lead shot. Some manufacturers use cyanide in its production and this is released when melted. Cyanide is deadly, even in small doses.

I would used a section of brass rod inserted into the priest or fill the hole with lead shot and then drip PVA wood glue into the hole to make the whole lot solid.

Other than that, buy a priest off flea-bay. Cheap enough and very effective

Hi Mark....It's ABC, depending on the size of your Antler, use a drill up to 1/2", drill a hole in your Antler anything up to 3" depth. I use an old ladle soup spoon that's kinked at one end to funnel the lead while pouring, drop your lead in, heat the bottom with a blow torch till the lead has melted, scrape the cr@@p off the top of the lead, & carefully pour into the Priest....which you should have gripped in a vice for support, ....then leave till it cools.

Like I say....ABC

BJ.

• 3 weeks later...

Ask in the airgun section for the target shooter's pellet's.

Recon I would have a 1/4 black bag stuck in my target board lol,I guess it is posting them and all that would bump price up.

Worth a mention though and it would probly be cheaper then buying a load as they would give them to you and you could cover post cost.

just a idea :welcomeani: