Shooting coat recommendations?

Baldrick

I need a new shooting coat that will keep me warm and totally dry when standing in sideways rain on Norfolk sugar beet or in Highland blizzards, and still be breatheable and water repellent. Tweed, waxed cotton and anything non-Goretex I already own, and these fabrics' uses are limited in my opinion.

Money is no object, providing I get jacket that will cope with hard, daily use. I am thinking Musto (the Munro jacket?), Sasta, Laksen etc.

Can anyone offer any advice based on what they own and use?

Take a look at Harkila, I have the Pro Hunter kit.

Very good kit that has stood up to (so far) three years of keepering and beating, and the worst that the Scottish Highlands

can throw at it.

Without a doubt the best winter clothing that I have ever owned.

Not cheap, but then you get what you pay for.

Edited by Browning

What you need is a musto keepers coat. Apart from having to reproof it after washing I have had one for 4-5 years and it is superb. John Norris is doing them for £99.99 at the moment

Mine was £200, and it is the best £200 I have ever spent

Browning, I agree that the Harkila is a superb jacket, having tried one. Unfortunately the zippered pocket on the left breast mucks up gun mounting for me as a left-hander.

MC, the Keeper jacket looks good. I'll keep it in mind. I might just buy one anyway at £99.

What you need is a musto keepers coat. Apart from having to reproof it after washing I have had one for 4-5 years and it is superb. John Norris is doing them for £99.99 at the moment

Mine was £200, and it is the best £200 I have ever spent

How heavyweight and warm is this coat, MC?

I have a Barbour Trapper Endurance Coat - outstanding, warm, bullet proof - but too warm for our Southern weather. I've worn it twice this year and am looking for something lighter weight, hence the interest the Musto coat.

Thanks.

I have a Barbour Trapper Endurance Coat - outstanding, warm, bullet proof - but too warm for our Southern weather. I've worn it twice this year and am looking for something lighter weight, hence the interest the Musto coat.

Thanks.

Flashman,

If you want something lightweight ask gameclay what his is. The keepers coat is ideal for a siberian expedition in the middle of the ice age. The Musto one won't make you look like Mr Toad though :good:

Edited by MC

Thanks.

I think it is one of the lightest jackets on the market.

A quick follow up:

John Norris only showed sizes S, XXL, and XXXL in stock. So, being a skinny type I took a chance on small. The sleeves are a just a bit too short, but otherwise not a bad fit. However I can tell I would get frustrated by that, so at £99 quid I am going to let my wife have it as she enjoyed beating this season. A quick Google around shows a few other suppliers who also lack stock of all sizes.

Quality wise, it looks very good, and it is very warm. If I find a medium size at a good price I'll get one, as for now I'll carry on making do with my old fishing coats/jackets.

Edited by john_r