lack of pigeons

cocker3

Cocker3,

I spoke to a seed merchant last year and he said the sales of OSR in East Lothian was down 70% on previous years due to the horrendously wet weather we had last summer.

It was so wet that the Winter Barley was late coming in so it had a knock on effect on the Rape getting drilled, a lot of farmers in that area chose not to drill any. I'd say this is the main reason for the lack of big flocks in your area.

We didn't get it quite as bad over here in Fife, I'd say we've got about 75% of the OSR we usually have. Having said that the pigeons are very slow moving over to rape here this year with large flocks still feeding on the many stubbles we still have as a lot of grain was lost on them, providing good feeding. This latest period of cold snowy weather should sort them out!

Cheers,

Mark.

I went past one of our cover crops today and there must have been the best part of 3000 pigeons sitting in the trees and on the crop.

I have not seen so many pigeons, but I am just glad they are not destroying our rape any more.

yeh thats a fair amount but its the same old thing tryin to get them tied down to one or two fields seen alot to day on an estate i pick up on ill keep u posted ?

Cocker3,

I spoke to a seed merchant last year and he said the sales of OSR in East Lothian was down 70% on previous years due to the horrendously wet weather we had last summer.

It was so wet that the Winter Barley was late coming in so it had a knock on effect on the Rape getting drilled, a lot of farmers in that area chose not to drill any. I'd say this is the main reason for the lack of big flocks in your area.

We didn't get it quite as bad over here in Fife, I'd say we've got about 75% of the OSR we usually have. Having said that the pigeons are very slow moving over to rape here this year with large flocks still feeding on the many stubbles we still have as a lot of grain was lost on them, providing good feeding. This latest period of cold snowy weather should sort them out!

Cheers,

Mark.

hi m robson what u say is very true is was a bad hravest here .the thing seems to be that all the feilds that were direct drilled are bear and any birds are still on late stubble alot of birds have appeared in the last few days so yeh the snow probably has helped

:look: went out for a few hours today minus 2 degrees over a thousand pigeons flighting from field to field of laid wheat ended up with 2 pigeons and 1 crow they never came back and i was frozen stiff { dedication or what } :lol:

dedication m8 defo am goin to an estate a pick up on tomorro the keeper tells me there are thousands on the covers crops . 8 guns spead over the estate should keep them on the move fingers crossed lol

Farmer's saying that the winter rape hasn't taken at all. they are thinking putting peas in a little later! SOme fields were just too wet last year to be ploughed so there is still some stubble on. And this is where the pigeons are right now! Roost shooting might be the way to get them right now, have to try it yet (never been out this year!)

???:yes:???

Farmer's saying that the winter rape hasn't taken at all. they are thinking putting peas in a little later! SOme fields were just too wet last year to be ploughed so there is still some stubble on. And this is where the pigeons are right now! Roost shooting might be the way to get them right now, have to try it yet (never been out this year!)

:yes::hmm::good:

yeh m8 the rape here is very poor too but here they are talkin about resowing later on they dont do much peas round here but u never know ps get out m8 better than sittin in the house lol :hmm::):yes:

Not one pigeon to be seen feeding on my patch. I have uncovered rape, maize etc but they are all sitting huddled in trees like big glum bunches of grapes.

I'm now crowing pigeon shot roosting at the weekend and all of their crops are empty.

Edited by Sprinter