setting up in the middle of a field of rape

fell terrier

im sorry if this topic has been covered but i was wondering how you would set up your hide in the middle of a field im interested to know how its done all the shooting we tend to do is from a hedgrow behind a netting hide with a magnet and decoys im an amatuer compared to you lads on here and would look forward to pointers im of to warwick a week on saturday with a pal over rape for the first time on the farm cant wait anyone got any tips

I shoot a lot over very flat fields with no hedgerows and have to set up out in the open.

As I shoot sitting down I can keep my hide low profile, I also make a triangular hide, with the wide bit at the back and the blunt bit at the front.

The back is about 4'-6" high and drops to about 3' at the front.

My hide is ex MoD thick cammo, so I am not silhouetted, I also wear full cammo, including face mask and gloves.

As I am quite exposed in the hide, this is important, IMO.

With a rear wind I put my decoys, especially the rotary, either side of the hide, so that incoming birds are (hopefully) distracted from the hide.

If the wind is coming from the front, I do the same, but put them out about 50 yards.

With a side wind I place the decoys well downwind of the hide, with the nearest one (usually the rotary) about 35 yards away, so that the birds have to pass in front of the hide to get to them.

Agree with Cranfield and i use the same layout, except i prefer a "diamond" shaped hide with a roof, or "pillbox" slit style but it can be a little restrictive, im a fidget and like to have a ciggy or two when shooting so face and hands are rarely covered and in this cold weather staying still and getting frozen stiff isnt one of my favourite passtimes, but whatever is comfortable and works on the day :)

I have set up in the middle of fields using a fishing brolly as a back drop and hide poles at the front and cover it with the camo that matches the field. the picture is not brilliant but you get the idea. This works on heavily shot farms when the birds believe the centre of the field to be safe.

Pigeon Controller

Image004-1.jpg

there is some crackin ideas i think i will try the conventional method at the hedgerow but take the brolly and netting to try the middle aproach if no good the more methods in the bag the better we will be travelling 2 hrs to shoot so want to make the best of it i have a rake of decoys and just purchased a magnet with flappin decoys time will tell im pinchin as much advice as i can dont get me wrong we get a few but our good days are around 20 and a few crows but that is near lancaster where the birds arnt as common

What I normally do is if the birds are always out in the middle of the field or they are flighting over the middle the I will go and set a hide up in the middle about 4-7 days before I am going to shoot, so that the birds get used to it.

But dont do this if the farmer is going to be spraying the field that week.