17hmr savage 93r17btvs need a scope

deadeye

Sweet rifle mate ??? Soon as I get the $$ Ill be looking for one ???

Depends what you want to spend mate, the MTC Viper scopes look nice but are around £120-150 I think :good:

My mate has I think a 4-12x zoom on his CZ 17 HMR and personally I would want more zoom for such a nail driving round ???

Assuming you will only use it for hunting: A fixed magnification of x6 or x8.

Experienced people who have advised me are all in favour of a fixed magnification. I am a beginner myself so I don't speak from experience - just get that clear! :hmm: These guys (professionals) use 6x42 on their deer stalking rifles, and 8x56 on a .17HMR.

I use x4 (and never change it-although my scope can go up to x12) on my air rifle.

After all, the lower the magnification, the greater the field of view - and that is a distinct advantage for target acquisition. And safety.

If you do target shooting it is a different story.

what price range?

My HMR had a 5-15 Bushnell elite 3200 on it when I sold it all as a package. Awesome scope. I took headshots out to 100 or so and upper body shots past that. I had considered putting more magnification on the gun, but had decided to sell it before I rescoped it. Doing it again, I'd go with a high end around 18/20 or so. That's my preference in scopes, that is to have enough magnification at the furthest distance I plan to shoot. I had no problem shooting at <10 yards on 5 power, and the 15 power was a blessing when you are trying to pick out a hare or rabbit picking through brush at 80 yards. Also, the elite 3200 was an awesome scope for dark time performance. I could see better looking through the scope at twilight than I could with the naked eye. Some scopes it is the other way around.

My HMR replacement will wear a 6-24 Nikon Monarch with fine crosshairs. I might give up a little shooting time in the evening for the fine crosshair, but when I can center the crosshair on a thumbtack at 100+ I'll appreciate it.

Thanks,

Rick

I doubt that the majority of experienced Shots use fixed powers on their .17 HMRs. I tried a Meopta 7x50, an S&B 8x56 and Burris 3-9x50 on my HMR, before settling on the scope it currently sports: am old, but crystal-clear 6.5-25x44 Bausch & Lomb (predecessor of the Bushnell 4200). The high mag gives me all the detail I need for long shots.

I have just purchased a MTC Mamber in black 3-12 x 44 ir for my 17HMR when i get it ! Very good optics & rated by some top shots iv spoken to in HFT etc.

New they retail at £219 plus postage from places such as Utings but in mint condition you could pick one up second hand in the reagen of £160 - £180 delivered, keep your eye out.

It seems a good all rounder and if you arnt in a big rush i will post my findings on it here as soon as it arrives in my grubby little mitts ! :yp: :hmm:

Edited by salop sniper

Iv received my MTC Mamber now and have to say it appears to be wicked , am very impressed and is shows up the bushnal my dad forked out for last year !

I could be wrong but i cant imagine anyone needing any more from a scope than what this offers when using a rimmy !

Very impressed with MTC and am confident any further purchases of scope i make will be MTC !

:good:

I'm with baldrick as well you'll regret a fixed power, I've a 4-16 and I'd actually like a bit more magnification. Comes into play with either targets or vermin when they are 150 yards or so its very nice to be able to zoom right in. But on the other hand the 4x is useful when lamping rabbits and you get a close one

Took my new thumbhole savage .17 thing out a day or so ago, absolutely dam fantastic. Fitted with a new "vintage" simmons 6 to 20 x 44 Mag scope. Hasn't come off 20 yet :good: :unsure:

PS, not a newbie, more an old shooting ***, non expert but with a wealth of exp/stories to tell, see you later :unsure:

PS again, gun would not fire from new, no real impact from the bolt, taken back and sorted. Common fault on this fancy stocked model, the rear of the bolt fouls in the stock, needs some wood removing for simple fix :D

Edited by cyclonebri1