Beating Stick

Paul@Ribchester

most people must a bit of hazel, grows nice and straight and easy to find ,bendy with a bit of give in it ,three quarters to an inch is about the right thickness, blackthorn can be nice if its polished up, hard to find a long enough straight bit though, a bit of 20 mm copper tube on the end makes a cheap ferrule

i recently got into this subject and it is great fun, first thing, you need to very take cuttings of different woods, and see what you prefer, hazel is most common as stated above, vary in thickness, but no more than 2 inches, vary it though you will find the right style, get hold of some black water buffalow horn, great stuff, and incorporate that under a piece of deer antler on on the tips smoothed and HIGH polished it looks great, ferrules, either use some copper pipe (or copper end caps) or you can buy proper ferrules but they can be pricey, if you have a spent shotgun cartridge that has a good nck on it and as long as it is as thick as the stick itwill work fine, you can coat it in varnish but this can crack, you can use Bee's wax but this can be expensive, get yourself a rotary tool, i have ordered mine from maplin £19.99 for a rotary tool and 175 bits, these will help you cut down work time by DAYS but the main thing is, your first stick will probably be kak but i garuntee you will still be using it in 10 years time, providing it doesnt snap, it wont be great but enjoy yourself...

happy stickmaking

mark

:good:

Is there a trick in drying them straight?

The trick is to cut straight ones and avoid doglegged sticks. You straighten them by applying either heat or steam when they are dry and bending them into shape over your knee. I find that the best hazel is not the stuff that is growing in ditches but the sticks that are growing inside in small woods, because they grow straight up towards the light.

• 1 month later...

As a guide, air dried wood - 1inch per year.

As an example, if you have a 2inch board it will take about 2 years to air dry down to a suitable moisture content (MC). As you would be using the stick in the outdoors, you may be able to get away with a shorter drying cycle, as you would not need to get the MC down to levels needed for items that are intended for a centrally heated home.

Hanging the wood vertically (as it would have grown) may aid the process in some woods