the right pellet for the job

shore_shot

Wasp were a great pellet in their day but have been outclassed by many more sphisticated designs. I use Accupels which although slightly more expensive are very consistent and if used at night with a scope lamp can be seen travelling down to the target as the head is solid and flat at the back.

I use up the old pellets I've accumulated over the years for plinking but only ever use top ammo for live quarry, it's the least you can do.

Was plinking with Accupels at a clay shooting ground the other day using my Webley Axsor and consistently hiting old 12 bore plaswads at 40 yards. it wasn't windy and I was kneeling rather than standing but that's how I take most of my shots.

Modern air rifles are awesome in their performance, we used to think the BSA Airsporter or Webley MK3 were the guns to have (shows my age) but I use the pre charged almost exclusively now.

To Be honest and with no disrespect to you Old Rooster i find the crosman pellets (other than the premiers) **** in all my guns i much prefer the H&N field target trophy pellets in 5.53 cal. Nice tight groups with a good result in the field on quarry too. I used to use the Accupel a lot in the late 80s in my innova as well as the wasps and found them to be quite good for the intended purpose and recently found the wasps super accurate in the Stealth in .22 cal also purely by accident when i ran out of pellets to plink at 25 yards and i happened to have a tin of wasps lying about. Recently i bought a few tins of Accupel and was dissmayed at the inconsistency of the pellets and their characteristics durin flight. In the 80s they seemed fine but now they seem naff?:lol:??? Another decent pellet for Pre Charge is the Logun penetrator but in my view a bit of a joke for the price :rolleyes: . RWS used to make some good pellets but i haven't tried them for over 15 years. Wasps are a generally good all rounder but i would reccomend if intended for live quarry you go no lower with the weight. I know a guy who uses nothing BUT wasps he swears by em in his HW80 and HW77. If you are looking to find what pellet is best for your Gun then i know a few places and even on the internet do sample packs (about 10 of each pellet) in little packs on card on average about 20 different pellet types. It may be worth trying one of these to see what your gun will shoot best with.

Zeb

i use what ever it accurate and not pointed, at the moment, accupel/hobby500or rws super -h point, in the 177 i use beeman silver arrows (which tbh are so accurate that expansion is not an issue as head shots dont require so much, but the 177 dosent go out unless i fancy a change)

so theres my opinion

I use accupell which is in my opinion the most consistant pellet manufactured today.

There are one or two in every tin which have the inherent flaws of mass production but I normally sort each tin when i buy it and reject any with damaged or pitted skirts.

I have tried many, many different types of pellet ( too many to list here) since I got my first air rifle over 30 years ago and I have never found one as good.

With my logun axor I can hit a 5p disc regularly at 35 m and that will take a Rabbits eye at that distance and though I say it myself thats pretty good shooting.

I think you can get too hung up on pellet choice and various gimmicks, at the end of the day find and use one that gives you confidence and stick with it.

FM

Well there we have conclusive proof that there's no conclusive proof :rolleyes::lol:;)

Isn't it a wonderful world, we get so much choice with all kinds of things and the range of pellets around is awesome. along with all those already mentioned I can recall: Bulldog, Airship, Rabbit Magnums and a whole bunch more I could list if I went and had a look in my collection of pellets. Guess it's whatever you get on with at the end of the day but I like the accupell cos it doesn't strip in my Original 52 wheras a lot of other pellets just sprayed all over the place. They also work great in the Axsor and have a good solid head that packs a real punch, goes right through a bunnys head at 40yds and if it's at that range or closer it usually gets to find that out for itself :D:)

If a wobbly old *** like me can shoot so well with them think what you youngsters without DT's and arthritis should be able to achieve.

It's the same answer as you'll always get. The quarry won't give a stuff what pellet type you use so long as it hits the correct spot. Use whatever groups well with your gun and stick to it. As a general rule the pointed pellets are poor as the point often sends the pellet off target if not manufactured exactly concentric. Flat head or hollowpoint loose substantial energy downrange. Not a problem at short ranges but can be marginal for retained energy at long ranges. Roundheaded pellets generally perform best for accuracy and retained energy. JSB or accupells would always be the first choice to try for accuracy in my guns. Failing those two I'd move to FTT and Superdomes. If none of them work ok your barrel is probably a dud.

The only time I stick anything other than a roundhead in is if short range ratting or ferals when I reach for a hollowpoint or flathead to avoid overpenetration in deference to any barn.

If the Dynamics are the Non lead ones i prefer NOT to use them. All barrels on air rifles were designed to use Lead waisted pellets. Untill there is a lot of people who use these with no problems i wont be taking the first step myself. Maybe i am just over cautious but i don't want to run the risk or knacking my barrels for no one. I never even used the copper points years ago for the same reasons.

Zeb

I started off with Bisley Super Field, but my Falcon PCP just did not get on with them, so I changed to Accupell. They work very well through it and when I tried swapping to H&N FTT, I found I had the same problem as when I used the SuperFields...

I think it was all down to the shape of the skirt. My rifle has a flat head to the bolt and when using Accupell, it slots into the flat back of the pellet and pushes it neatly forward. With the other two, because they have a pointy back inside the skirt, the bolt was spreading the skirt (Fnaar!) and making it hard to load into the breach.

This got put to the test when my mate started using Accupell in his Falcon that does not have the flat bolt, but a pointy one. His rifle -much_ prefers H&N pellets and he can't get on with the flat backed Accupells.

Wookie