JR pup diarrhoea.

vole

My 7 month old pup has had a few problems lately. She was treated for a bad urine infection,has been spayed and also treated for gastro enteritis which was pretty bad too.She had 2 courses of antibiotics. She seems healthy enough and has a good appetite.She seems to be filling out nicely,not losing weight. She is just very "loose" in the main. She is also doing green/brown ones,both soft and normal. We have tried all kinds of foods and have gone back to boiled rice and chicken.It does not smell bad or like diarrhoea due to a bug or anything.

I do want the best for her but another trip to the vet is a last resort as the family budget is tight with my Mrs now not working etc.I thought I would ask you folks first. Thanks for any advice.

it sounds like she has been through a bit so its not surprising her guts aren't up to much. Anti biotics can have a nasty effect on top of everything else. I'd say try her on some complete food for a while as that tends to stiffen things up so to speak and it may be worth looking at the hills range of dog food if that doesn't work this lot stock the hills range and also the prescription diets which you can't usually get as vets like to charge and prescribe them even though they aren't a prescription medecine http://www.bestpet.co.uk/search_results.as...ls_Science_Plan

you've been unlucky though as JR's generally are one of the healthier dogs out there

Get one food and stick to it. Don't chop and change- her stomach probably can't settle due to all the different things going through her body. She has been through alot by the sounds of it.

Get a biscuit that is light not too rich. Give her a day of rest from food- it wouldn't hurt her (as long as she isn't too underweight). Give her food little and often- it give her stomach time to digest the food properly.

Give it a while but if none of that helps settle her down, it might be a trip to the vets as she could well be allergic to a ingredient in her food!

Was she checked and or treated for coccidious?

NTTF

Not sure but we have done everything that pups should have done.They have not taken any samples to my knowledge though so suspect not.She used to be fine on Bakers pup biscs with tesco puppy tinned meat mixed in. We then got her spayed then it was the urine infection then the enteritis.I just bought some goat yoghurt with the pro biotics in Aand she had some on rice.Things are "firmer " since going back on the rice and egg/chicken but still green. I am so pleased there are frosty mornings to make it easier to scoop them off the back lawn.Thanks for all your excellent help.

the only down side with feeding a dog chicken and rice is it will eventually turn his nose up at complete dog food then you have to start adding things like meat.i had a prob with my dog when she was a pup,vet said give it chicken n rice.biggest mistake i made,shes nearly 3 and still a fussey eater

Get one food and stick to it. Don't chop and change- her stomach probably can't settle due to all the different things going through her body. She has been through alot by the sounds of it.

Get a biscuit that is light not too rich. Give her a day of rest from food- it wouldn't hurt her (as long as she isn't too underweight). Give her food little and often- it give her stomach time to digest the food properly.

Give it a while but if none of that helps settle her down, it might be a trip to the vets as she could well be allergic to a ingredient in her food!

Good advice and I would say the same myself.

Be careful though as dogs aren't silly, and after being fed Rice and Chicken they may think they are onto a good thing and turn their nose up at dry biscuit, in which case leave it and try again later or the next day when they really start to get hungry.

Chudley's do a sensitive mix for dogs which I used when one of my pups had a similar problem, and initially I started them off with it wet and with some rice mixed in with it. She still has a bit of a squirty bottom occasionally but I now have her on the same food as the rest and they also get human scraps as part of their diet.

The suggestion of bio yogurt is also a good idea and will calm her gut down