battery for pigeon rotary

Hi all,being a newbie i am still getting my gear together on a monthly basis and today my dad came in with a present for me.lol A battery for my rotary but before i use it i do have the option to change it for another type if need be.It is a maplins 12v 12amp hour maintainece free sealed lead acid battery(maplins own make)is this ok or would i be better to change it how long will 12 amp hours last.

Thanks for your help Lee

I guess it would depend on what magnet you have as some will draw more then others. A 12ah bat should last you some time a 17/20 will prob do you all day.

You should also consider getting a speed controler as you can adjust the speed as you see fit. You can get one for about £25.

Hope this is of some help.

SS

17ah golf cart batteries which can no longer go the full distance of 18 holes on the golf course will last all day. Most golfers discard these batteries as useless so why not ask them for their old batteries, I do, and use them for various things.

I always carry two in the Landy just in case and have not yet needed to use the second one. i have wired the vehicle so that battery charges while driving.

thanks guys some real food for thought there.im now thinking i may need the 17 ah one but the weight is definatley a factor and maybe forced into this one. .Regarding the charging is it best to run them right down before charging also do i need a special charger to charge it,if i use a normal car charger can you over do it and knacker the battery.(how do i know its charged)Sorry bout the dopy question but the only thing ive ever done with cars is put petrol in it.

Thanks again Lee

Edited by hitfreshairagain

thanks guys some real food for thought there.im now thinking i may need the 17 ah one but the weight is definatley a factor and maybe forced into this one. .Regarding the charging is it best to run them right down before charging also do i need a special charger to charge it,if i use a normal car charger can you over do it and knacker the battery.(how do i know its charged)Sorry bout the dopy question but the only thing ive ever done with cars is put petrol in it.

Thanks again Lee

DO NOT fully discharge lead acid batteries, this will cause problems.

Recharge your battery as soon as you can after shooting, and then charge again before you go shooting again.

The majority of car battery chargers are quite crude, and ideally should not be used on the type of batteries under discussion.

Ideally a 2 stage charge should be used.

I also sell the correct chargers.

If you are interested please PM me.

webber

Hi Hitfreshairagain,

The 12Ah is the capacity of the battery. Like the size of your cars fuel tank. As long as its 12volt is does not matter what Ah you have. The larger the Ah the longer the battery will last and the heavier it will be. When choosing a battery you should compare the weight against how long you want it to last for.

If you want to work out roughly how long your battery will last on your magnet do the following.

1) Measure the current being drawn by you motor using a multimeter.( A typical car wiper motor draws about 1.5 amps depending on load). Remember to put the arms and decoys on.

2) Divide the 12Ah by the motor current, measured in step one. 12Ah / 1.5A = 8 hours

If your interested Ah stands for Amps per Hour, this how many amps the battery can supply at 12volts for one hour.

I hope this helps, regards Agent.

Edited by Agent36

17ah golf cart batteries which can no longer go the full distance of 18 holes on the golf course will last all day. Most golfers discard these batteries as useless so why not ask them for their old batteries, I do, and use them for various things.

I always carry two in the Landy just in case and have not yet needed to use the second one. i have wired the vehicle so that battery charges while driving.

I got a 6 a couple of years ago for £3 from a golf cart servicing center - best £18 i ever spent all 6 last all day