New knife

Hunter

I just got my Fire Service rescue knife which will be carried in my PPE kit.

Its a fantastic peice of equipment, a great addition to my other Victorinox knives.

Can I carry one of these as part of my first aid kit in the car? I am not sure about the law regarding a knife as a peice of rescue equipment in the car (only kept in the vehicle) while off duty?

Sometimes the law baffles me.. I want to carry this equipment in the vehicle as a means of rescue equipment, yet I may be in trouble with the law for doing so..

Sure it would be a different story if it was in my pocket on a friday night in town..

Best peice of kit I got since the GPS. :innocent:

Cheers

You've got two main bits of legislation to contend with.

Sec 139 CJA is the main one.....states you can have a bladed article or sharply pointed article in possesson for lawful authority or reasonable excuse. the lawful authority bit would not really cover you(off duty anyway, on duty it would for lawful purposes.ie cutting seat belts at an RTA etc).....reasonable excuse gives reasons as used for work; national dress or religious article(ie a shieks knife). As long as you have a reasonable excuse then you are OK........but there lies the large grey area. If you were to keep it in a hunting bag that you only took out on hunting days then fine. You may however have trouble justifying the possession of it if stopped by the police and it was sat in your door panel for no particular reason. Again in a first aid box may not stop you geting arrested. It would be for a court to decide(if it got that far) but would mean weeks/months of worry for you.

The other legislation deals with offensive weapons and that would only really come into play if it was a made or adapted off weapon otherwise intent needs to be established.

My advice. If you really don't need it, don't carry it in your motor. In you line of work a collar felt for possession of a bladed article would probably mean the sack at best.

Edited by death from below