Are firing pins a universal part?

Jon-Boy

Hi ive just been given a zabala O/U 12g shotty for free, only trouble is the top barrel's firing pin is broken. Are firing pins made specifically for types of guns or are most very similar. I would like to pick up a new pin but are unsure of where to get one for a zabala.

• 2 weeks later...
If you send me the good one I'll make you a copy.

Nice jesture old rooster , I would however research this,To the best of my knowledge and experience you will find the top and bottom pins in O/U's differ in length,this is mainly due to the mechanics of the gun itself ,the sxs locks both barrels at the same radial axis point ,so pin protrusion is equal ,the O/U has a greater radius on the top ,more clearance than the bottom,This could then cause problems like missfire with a shorter pin ,or primer peircing with a long one , im sure with a little ground work you could find the exact length of pin protrusion from the breech face for the broken pin , i grant you im not too familiar with the zabala shotgun ,but i would find out for sure first .

I hope i havent offended you rooster :)

Martin

If you send me the good one I'll make you a copy.

Nice jesture old rooster , I would however research this,To the best of my knowledge and experience you will find the top and bottom pins in O/U's differ in length,this is mainly due to the mechanics of the gun itself ,the sxs locks both barrels at the same radial axis point ,so pin protrusion is equal ,the O/U has a greater radius on the top ,more clearance than the bottom,This could then cause problems like missfire with a shorter pin ,or primer peircing with a long one , im sure with a little ground work you could find the exact length of pin protrusion from the breech face for the broken pin , i grant you im not too familiar with the zabala shotgun ,but i would find out for sure first .

I hope i havent offended you rooster :)

Martin

Not offended at all, I'm more used to side by side shotguns and still have a lot of my late Fathers gunsmithing tools along with my own lathe and milling machine in my workshop so just thought it could help the guy out. If he'd wanted to bring the gun along we could have worked it out from that, probably fine in Silver Steel, hardened and tempered.

Didn't hear any more so guess he's got it sorted ?.

Sorry chaps, i got it sorted, but thanks any way rooster. Guns a peice of **** anyway so im lookin to sell it if any one wants it for £50

You're one slick salesman mate I'll give you that, you'll be bombarded with buyers with that description or did you mean you'd give someone £50 to put in on their shotgun ticket :huh::lol:

• 6 years later...