glitter ball

jonboy1

A glitter ball is one of those globes covered in small mirrors you may have seen in a discotheque. They are apparently an unfair but very effective method of attracting curious creatures such as crows and whatnot if rotated in a field. I have not tried this myself and cannot state if it works well or not.

Apparently glitter balls/ mirrors or similar devices were used 40-50 yrs ago on skylarks (someone will confirm or correct this) to devastating effect and have been banned.Not sure if these devices were traps or someone shot the bird as they were attracted by the reflective nature of the device.

I think they are more effective on magpies who like shiny objects but I believe they are banned as jonboy said. Think they just aroused the natural curiousity of the bird.

jonboy1

It was me who mentioned the glitter ball saw them advertised by Deako's company about 3 years ago i bought one..

Used it with my mate scaffman73 we had some great days on rooks and jackdaws and it certainly worked once we found out it was illegal stopped using it and just this week after speaking to deako have sent it back..

a couple of pic from when it was used you can see it in the middle of the pattern most of the rest are dead birds..

Picture001.jpg

Picture005.jpg

PS forgot to add it only worked when it was very sunny the sun flashed on the mirrows as it turned like the one you used to get in the disco's..

Edited by hawkeye

So pardon my curiosity but what's the difference between them and the balls you see in fields to scare the pigeons away. You know, the ones that glitter and rotate on the end of a stick. Are these ones different in some way? :blink:

So pardon my curiosity but what's the difference between them and the balls you see in fields to scare the pigeons away. You know, the ones that glitter and rotate on the end of a stick. Are these ones different in some way? :blink:

I think essentially here the issue is 'what purpose are you using a shiny thing for?'

To scare birds - no bother

To attract birds to shoot them - illegal apparently

judging by the photos, it certainly looks like it did the business.May seem like a silly question but did it move round under wind power or battery. :blush: i still can't understand why it was banned, it is a device to attract a pest species of bird so it can be culled,in just the same way we use pigeon decoys,magnates etc, jeez, they'.ll be saying we can't use them next.

i think you should be allowed to use them for vermin control

seeing as you are allowed to use life like decoys to pull them in then why cant you use

any method that seems to work

i think it would be a good idea to use one of those glitter balls if it does the job

would be the fraction of the cost of a load of life like decoys

does that also go for the ball with a tail that bounces all over for use on foxes (cant remember what they called )

i cant see the problem if it does the job we should be allowed to use it

but i guess if its the law then we must abide by it

does that also go for the ball with a tail that bounces all over for use on foxes (cant remember what they called )

Rampant Rabbit? Oooops, thats for the Ann Summers topic. :blush::/

You mean the twitching bit of fluff on the end of a stick. Seems to work well on the Warreners DVD's.

The farm i shoot has spinning balls on sticks in his field. Half of the ball is tin foil effect and half is yellow. These are to scare off pigeons!

So if i set up with my pigeon decoys out in front of me but notice a crow comming in to the 'bird scarer' which is 40 yards to my right, does this mean i shouldn't shoot it? :blush::/:lol:

Answers on a postcard!

The glitter ball is covered in small mirrors and it rotates with a motor and small battery.

We found it only really worked well on real sunny days the sun flashing on the mirrors was what attracted the birds.. :blush: :blush:

Would have taken some close up pics but i sent it back to Mark1 last Monday he should have it by know.. :blush:

Edited by hawkeye

Just a quick thank you to Mark1 i spoke to him on thursday about the glitter ball they had recieved it back OK..

On friday 10am a parcel arrived with the items i exchanged the ball for and it also had in it a pair of Air pro flapping pigeons FREE to try thanks Mark1 i will give them a go next time im out..And let you know the results.. :good: :good: :hmm:

no problem's mike as i said we are fair with people that are fair with us,if someone take's the p*** so will we as is the same in all industry.

Good luck and good shooting mike.

Regard's Decoying :good:

my son wants one for his bedroom. have you any kicking around please.......no no not kicking as that will brake it....spinning around, if so how much please.

Phil