Urgent for Webber

McF

Webber is at his holiday home in Arnside Cumbria, now cumbria was supposed to be one of the first places that the testriol tv signal was going to be turned off, can any confirm this as happened, and if so what does he need to be able to watch tv, is it a digital aieral, a digital tv, or both.

In the past he as tried to get a digital tv dish up and running but failed to get a signal because of the surrounding trees he cant get the dish up high anough.

can any one help?

You've got to check whether you can get free view in cumbria as until it goes didgital there is very few channels you can get in my area. Unless you have huge fancy arial fitted. Not sure what transmitter carnforth runs off. But is worth checking before buying a free view box that it will work in carnforth area

In the past he as tried to get a digital tv dish up and running but failed to get a signal because of the surrounding trees he cant get the dish up high anough.

can any one help?

Get him to come up with an idea to raise the ariel up above the trees, then steal and cunningly adapt it to mount a rotary on. :good:

Get him to come up with an idea to raise the ariel up above the trees, then steal and cunningly adapt it to mount a rotary on. :good:

Nice one he said he wouldnt get involved with that i may just be able to con him into this. :yes:

Thanks for your replys so far, i have just got off the phone to webber, relaying your replys, it transpires that he as bought a new tv with built in freeview when hes connected it and tried tuning it in the tv comes up with the message no signal, i have suggested that the aieral he as is not good anough and he needs a new one what do you think.

I live about 4 miles from Arnside and get a perfect picture on freeview, although I believe Arnside gets its signal from a different transmitter as it is in an area shielded by some high hills. My parents live in Milnthorpe and they get freeview so I would suggest he needs A new aerial or at least his existing aerial setting up properly. :bye2:

there is a channel on teletext that tests your ariel s suitability for digital signal,think it s channel 280,might be wrong though,is there somewhere

:bye2:

BBC One Ceefax page 284

· BBC Two Ceefax page 284

· ITV1 Teletext page 284

· C4/S4C Teletext page 284

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/p..._20071008_2.pdf

Edited by codling99

UPDATE

webber has spent he holiday weekend watching Bob the Builder and other CDs suitable for my 5 year old granddaughter.

I obtained the telephone number of the alleged super ace local aeriel fitter from a keeper friend of mine and telephoned him yesterday.

The gist of the conversation went along the lines of.

I'm booked up solid until mid May.

The analogue signal goes off in June.

If you are having problems now with analogue, you have no chance with digital.

I dont really want any work on XYZ site as its a nightmare to get a signal.

I could take hundreds of pounds off you and still be in the same position.

You would be better with a satelite dish.

To which I informed him that I had tried a dish but could not get an adequate signal due to trees.

The fitter then suggested that I find a neighbour witha good dish signal and buy the equipment to utilise his dish.

This is what I intend to do. However, this creates another problem. TO run a cable from the dish to my site I would need to dig up the road, which I doubt that the land owner will be keen on. I am now wondering if it is possible to transmit from the dish to a receiver via a wireless link?

Over to you Pigeon Watch!

webber

I installed one of these http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=217681

we're on the edge of the fens and it works most of the time. Every now and again itv mux gets a bit broken up but this always seems to coincide with work on the Sandy heath transmitter and I believe they dial the power on the digital signal down when they are doing this.

JD

UPDATE

webber has spent he holiday weekend watching Bob the Builder and other CDs suitable for my 5 year old granddaughter.

I obtained the telephone number of the alleged super ace local aeriel fitter from a keeper friend of mine and telephoned him yesterday.

The gist of the conversation went along the lines of.

I'm booked up solid until mid May.

The analogue signal goes off in June.

If you are having problems now with analogue, you have no chance with digital.

I dont really want any work on XYZ site as its a nightmare to get a signal.

d take hundreds of pounds off you and still be in the same position.

You would be better with a satelite dish.

To which I informed him that I had tried a dish but could not get an adequate signal due to trees.

The fitter then suggested that I find a neighbour witha good dish signal and buy the equipment to utilise his dish.

This is what I intend to do. However, this creates another problem. TO run a cable from the dish to my site I would need to dig up the road, which I doubt that the land owner will be keen on. I am now wondering if it is possible to transmit from the dish to a receiver via a wireless link?

Over to you Pigeon Watch!

webber

buy a freeview box ..cheapest way

Edited by Warm Barrels