pup as jelly/mucus poo

darren m

yep thats right :bye2: .

for 4 days :D now she as had the squits :( , first its sloppy and then its like brown jelly .

she seems fine in her self and is eating and drinking fine.

hoped it would pass , but now a little worried .

its the mucusy poo thats bothering me .

any thoughts :yes:

thanks

has she eaten something or been playing with something that is mouldy or rotten?

reason I'm asking is my cocker pup had the same sort of thing, panicked me like mad. then was sick a few times. wanted to poo every 10mins.in the end it was just snotty with blood in it.

off to the vets we went.... colitis (sp) inflammation of the bowel.

vet gave a jab to stop being sick and then told us to buy some kaolin from the chemist as cockers can suffer with it. we had to stave for 12hrs as hes a pup and then bland food for 48hrs or until normal formed stools, then slowly bring his kibbles back in.

2.5ml of kaolin, not the kaolin and morphine but just the kaolin. this will runny poos up.

we keep the kaolin in the house now as we have had a few bouts of it now.

if your worried then get the the vets as the pup can go down hill very very quickly as theres no extra fat on them to keep them going.

if in doute...get the cheque book out.

Not trying to worry you but i had a lurcher that was exactley the same took her to the vets and they said said it could be worms as dosnt matter if they are wormed young pups struggle to get it out there system but they also said thats how parvo virus starts , she did go down hill quite bad and thought was going to lose her but she was fine and jumping around within a couple days if in doupt take to the vets just to be on the safe side.

mike.

thanks lads -

yep she as had all her jabs

poo's a bit better this morning ( little bit stringy though :good: )

re picking stuff up -- she's all ways picking leaves and stones :D , the night before this started she bought in a dead frog :drinks: to her cage where she sleeps and luckily just befored bed i spotted and removed it .

do you think this frog might be the prob :yay: .

i remember when my lab was ill the vet gave him some tablets to replace good gut bacteria -- can i buy these anywhere , or would the yoghurt do the same thing :yay:

re- worms - i did wonder , but can see no signs , got plenty of wormer so may as well use it.

cheers all

If worms are the problem then the dog would be very sleepy and tired due to lack of glucose in the blood. And as for the yoghurt, its is the live bacteria in it that helps calm their stomach, just makesure you get one that says 'bio' or 'live' somewhere on the pot if you are going to try it.

Best of Luck with the new pup!!

yes deeks - on last visit to vet said a little under weight ,but not too worry , its prob because she never stops moving .

****e is Aok .

i,m not trying to fatten her up -- by the way :drinks: , slim is good . she is in good condition in my opinion , i,m trying just give her the best nutrition for growth i can ie protecting those joints and ligaments

she,s not a keen eater , probably well board with dried and gravy will try a few tins of sardines a week in oil , and maybe some raw mince on its own .

This was a post from your last thread on adding supplements to your pups food 'Click here!'

In it you mentioned 'tins of sardines a week in oil' and 'raw mince', if you are feeding the dog this kind of stuff it may be your problem. I know if I fed it to my dogs it would certainly give them the ****s. Oily fish stuff is fine put in small amounts every couple of weeks.

Your dog could have worms too but if its been dosed it should be okay, the strings may be from eating grass.

If I were you I'ld put the dog on boiled chicken and rice for a week. When the dogs ***** starts getting better try gradually introducing Pedigree chum puppy dried food - the chicken and rice stuff, and then keep it on it. Don't believe what people say about Pedgree chum being **** I found that it helped one of my dogs who had a very bad stomach when he was a pup.

I feed my dogs on 'Arkwrights Complete' its cheap as chips and they seem to be thriving on it, however I do find that they can lose weight on it so I give them extra. Once a fortnight I will add about a teaspoon of cod liver oil, its good for their coat and general condition, but too much of it is bad for them. I also add scraps from the table and they love it, nothing spicy of course.

I also was advised by Tiercel if a dog is ever sick to feed it tripe, although I've never tried it.

Now stopping ******* around with your dogs food before you kill it!

Edited by deeksofdoom

deeks - for god sakes :drinks:

totally got the wrong end of the stick :good: , the pups not on any supplements , infact she only gets Eukanuba junior and gravy and sometimes a bit ( fork full ) of tinned meat to had a bit of flavour or odd ments of left over chicken ( i eat chicken 3 times a week )

just cause i asked about them , dont mean i rushed out and bought them , in fact i think i will get some cod liver oil :yay: that should be at least good for her joints

i did have her on the chudleys junior , but she just did,nt have an appetite for it , so bit the bullet and forked out for a large bag (at wholesale price ) of the euka and shes been ok on that , and loves eat appetite as gone up and coat condition is good.

anyway looking at her poo today it looks a bit better ( no mucus ) but watching her do her buisness she was straining a little , just hope this aint a blockage :D

Edited by darren m

thanks lads -

yep she as had all her jabs

poo's a bit better this morning ( little bit stringy though ;) )

re picking stuff up -- she's all ways picking leaves and stones :lol: , the night before this started she bought in a dead frog :good: to her cage where she sleeps and luckily just befored bed i spotted and removed it .

do you think this frog might be the prob ;) .

i remember when my lab was ill the vet gave him some tablets to replace good gut bacteria -- can i buy these anywhere , or would the yoghurt do the same thing :hmm:

re- worms - i did wonder , but can see no signs , got plenty of wormer so may as well use it.

cheers all

not 100% sure but i think i can remember reading somewhere that the slime on a frogs skin is a kind of defence system as it contains toxins so if thats right i would tend to think it may have been that what caused the problem

When my cocker was younger , he was always getting the squits, sometimes it was like jelly . The best thing for us was , dont feed the dog for 12 hrs , then boiled rice mixed with natural yogurt . Boiled chicken will be ok too. Feed this for about 2 days , if no better its to the vet , incase its a bowel infection.

When my cocker was younger , he was always getting the squits, sometimes it was like jelly . The best thing for us was , dont feed the dog for 12 hrs , then boiled rice mixed with natural yogurt . Boiled chicken will be ok too. Feed this for about 2 days , if no better its to the vet , incase its a bowel infection.

Agree with this, except I would starve for 24 hours, then feed boiled rice (cooked until mush) with either poached white fish or boiled chicken. Personally i would avoid dairy products for a young dog and if a bland diet doesn't tighten him up in a couple of days off to the vet for some anti-inflammatory's for his gut and a check it's not an infection.

cheers lads -- shes all better now , poo is as normal and no mess in the night .

it defo could of being the frog :good: ( i did,nt mention it before as i just saw her playing with it , not actually eating the thing ).

the only thing i have left out of the diet is her daily morning scrambled egg :drool: ( 1 egg , bit of milk microwaved , hand full of eukanba )

maybe it was the egg , dunno :hmm: , i,ll try and reintroduce it later ( like her to have the egg for the extra muscle building protein ).

she,s actually pooing more regular ( after every meal ) now that the eggs not there !!!

also wormed her again , just in case .

thanks all

Edited by darren m

Darren just stick to feeding her Eukanuba!

Then if she has a stomach upset in the future it's probably not diet related.

Here's how Eukanuba describe their product:-

EUKANUBA PRODUCT : Puppy Growth

Recommended For:

1 - 12 MONTHS

Product Description:

Puppies need balanced nutrition. Eukanuba recognizes this and designed Eukanuba Puppy Growth to provide high-quality, complete and balanced nutrition specially formulated with proper protein and fat levels for energy and growth.

Cheers