Best Gunshops in Staffs or Derbyshire (Or Midlands)

smithee

Hi,

1st post.

New to the forum and new to clay shooting.

Just received my license and want to get kitted out (with a gun primarily).

Can people recommend the best place or places to get some decent impartial advice and where there is a good range/selection of equipment. My view is that I don't mind paying proper prices (eg RRP) for the right kit and advice. Just don't want to get ripped off! There are a lot of small one-man-bands around selling 2nd hand stuff but I just sense they will want to sell you only what they have (sorry for the lack of faith!). I want a shop with a wide enough range so that I can get the right advice and chose carefully and, importantly, will be able to hold and feel a wide range of guns. I also want the type of old fashioned shop where I can spend 3 hours there choosing and chatting without being made to feel like i'm in the way! (For me it's a hell of a lot of money!!)

I live in Staffs but would be willing to travel Midland-wide for the right shop.

Many thanks.

I picked up my new Miroku from The Countrystore in Shustoke, Warwickshire- really nice bunch of people. It was worth my while going there, and I drove up from Weston super Mare.

Contacts: 01675 481 006 or email sales@country-store.co.uk

They must be good then. That must be a long journey, are there no good gun shops in WSM??

To get some idea of the value of second hand or new new gun, Try this forum's BUY,Sell or swap or if you want to get a good indication of the value of a gun try guntrader.co.uk, they list hundreds of guns and most are from retailer's, just found in lanc's the 471 silver hawk I want, having it shipped down to local RFD, cost me a drink to get the paper work done.

HMR - I visited the Countryman in Derby just the once. His stock was mainly poor. He took a look at the gun I was thinking of trading in - a Classic Doubles (Winchester) multi choked. He said there is no call for fixed choke guns. I pointed out the multi chokes. He said "Is it ". I left at that point. I am told he can seem a bit disinterested - depends which day you catch him on. Not my cup of tea. I expect knowledge and civility every day.

Edited by Gordon R

Bates (Stafford) are ok. Their prices are not very competitive on some items but it is a reasonably well-stocked gunshop. I found things like air-rifles, cleaning accessories and to some of the firearms to be a bit high in price. However the prices are not the highest I have seen and it does cost money to run a decent well-stocked shop.