Cheap van.

Guinea Fowl

I need to buy a van, I am thinking of going self employed over the next thew months so i will need one.

I have been looking at leasing, but i don`t know much about that so if anyone know something about that then please let me know.

Or even just where to get a good second hand one from.

Also is there any good places to get insurance from for vans?

Regards GF

Budget for purchase and running cost?

size?

equipment/ accessories required for your business?

A friend of mine has just picked up a LWB Hi-top transit on an 04 plate with 75K on it from transco for £3K. it has a sink and plenty of racking in the back which makes it a good buy if thats the kind of thing you need.

Leasing is a good idea if you dont mind paying that bit extra but getting an all inclusive deal on the maintenance of it.

Incidently I brought a new corsavan recently. Went with vauxhall on the advice off here. Got to say I filled it up two weeks ago, 522 miles on the counter and still no fuel light come on.

Will it make 600 miles to a tank?

I got a Peugeot 206 van. Compared to my Disco it is a dream on the MPG !

I got a Peugeot 206 van. Compared to my Disco it is a dream on the MPG !

Lv?

We could start our own 'small van club' Only open to those who can get 600 miles to the tank or such like?

I gotta admit these small vans are good on the mpg, and am getting used to leaving the sun on the dashboard with a pile of invoices and sticking my fingers up to other drivers.

Incidently how are you getting on with getting birds in the back?

I know I am short but these corsa's take the michael..... I should have bought an astravan.....

My 206 is a fanny magnet. I have replaced the rear panels with windows so I get a better all round view of the totty.

I am not planning to carry anything in it, so space is not an issue.

My 206 is a fanny magnet. I have replaced the rear panels with windows so I get a better all round view of the totty.

I am not planning to carry anything in it, so space is not an issue.

What about when you wish to entertain down the bottom of southend seafront?

Got to take the bulkhead out at least.

I need to buy a van, I am thinking of going self employed over the next thew months so i will need one.

I have been looking at leasing, but i don`t know much about that so if anyone know something about that then please let me know.

Regards GF

give btms a pm he might sort u out : :good: B)

Regards GF

i wouldnt bother with purchase - (unless i was going to spend a couple of grand, was happy with an older van, and happy with the downside of repairs and the unpredictable costs which spring up)

contrary to popular belief - buying a vehicle (well - 99%) is not an investment, you will always lose money overall - so its a matter of working out how to lose the least, or how to do it with the least hassle.

it always makes me laugh when people say 'im not throwing money away leasing - i want to own it'! vehicles are not like property, they are not going to increase in value, the only thing that increases with the age of a vehicle - is the running costs.

leasing can be a good option ; but you need to be sure of 4 main issues

1) you need the vehicle for 3/4 years

2) you need THAT vehicle for 3/4 years

3) you are sure you know what the mileage will be (you will have to contractually sign to a set mileage - if you go over it gets expensive)

4) do you have the capital up front to put down as a deposit (usually 3 or 6 months rental) (and is this the best way to use capital for a new business?)

but - if you are sure of the above, it will be a fair bit cheaper.

another option is long term rental, usually no mileage limits, includes maintenance /tax/tyres and its flexible - you can return early without penalty, also deposits are not usually taken, and if they are - its a small one.

When i talk about long term van rental - i dont mean from one of the big ' daily car hire' companies (too expensive, not set up for commercials) - but one of the many operating mostly commercials, on a long term basis.

if you want my humble opinion on any particular company or funding method- pm me and i will be glad to offer my 2pence worth!

:good:

Lv?

We could start our own 'small van club' Only open to those who can get 600 miles to the tank or such like?

I gotta admit these small vans are good on the mpg, and am getting used to leaving the sun on the dashboard with a pile of invoices and sticking my fingers up to other drivers.

I know I am short but these corsa's take the michael..... I should have bought an astravan.....

My first car was a red J reg Nova-van, the back of which had surprisingly good capacity :good: .... Can I join?

ZB

My first car was a red J reg Nova-van, the back of which had surprisingly good capacity :good: .... Can I join?

ZB

Yes I am going to change the criteria for joining the 'Van club' as I see we are getting some interest.

Must also be able to accomodate two suffolk women in the cargo area

Zapp....Really you need a van to join, but I am easy on this one providing you tell us a story of a 'Back seat adventure'

Men or women can be involved we are quite broadminded these days..........

An 'adventure' story?

Obviously I cant be too specific, but suffice it to say that I (and a young lady from my past) know from experience that nova vans have a tendancy to get stuck when driven down and parked upon muddy tracks in the middle of nowhere late at night.

I also know that running the tape player (for mood music purposes) off the battery drains it very fast.

Further to this, I can confirm that not all AA men, when called to rescue young couples from country lanes at 2am are very good at keeping a straight face, or even not laughing out loud whilst pretending to be getting stuff out of the back of their van.

Some will even get straight on their radios to tell the area nightshift what they have just seen as the rescued vehicle drives off...

ZB

i wouldnt bother with purchase - (unless i was going to spend a couple of grand, was happy with an older van, and happy with the downside of repairs and the unpredictable costs which spring up)

contrary to popular belief - buying a vehicle (well - 99%) is not an investment, you will always lose money overall - so its a matter of working out how to lose the least, or how to do it with the least hassle.

it always makes me laugh when people say 'im not throwing money away leasing - i want to own it'! vehicles are not like property, they are not going to increase in value, the only thing that increases with the age of a vehicle - is the running costs.

leasing can be a good option ; but you need to be sure of 4 main issues

1) you need the vehicle for 3/4 years

2) you need THAT vehicle for 3/4 years

3) you are sure you know what the mileage will be (you will have to contractually sign to a set mileage - if you go over it gets expensive)

4) do you have the capital up front to put down as a deposit (usually 3 or 6 months rental) (and is this the best way to use capital for a new business?)

but - if you are sure of the above, it will be a fair bit cheaper.

another option is long term rental, usually no mileage limits, includes maintenance /tax/tyres and its flexible - you can return early without penalty, also deposits are not usually taken, and if they are - its a small one.

When i talk about long term van rental - i dont mean from one of the big ' daily car hire' companies (too expensive, not set up for commercials) - but one of the many operating mostly commercials, on a long term basis.

if you want my humble opinion on any particular company or funding method- pm me and i will be glad to offer my 2pence worth!

:lol:

If you're looking at leasing look at norflex, we lease through them and transits work out at £400 plus vat a month which is a lump but thats unlimited mileage fully maintained with tax and tyres etc included. bearing in mind ours do 200K in 3 years and we then get a new one its the easiest option and in our experience cheaper than buying and you don't get any hidden repair bills. Plus there is no contract length so if you don't need it you just give it back. Small vans are cheaper and if you shop round depot to depot they can vary in price.

If you're looking at leasing look at norflex, we lease through them and transits work out at £400 plus vat a month which is a lump but thats unlimited mileage fully maintained with tax and tyres etc included. bearing in mind ours do 200K in 3 years and we then get a new one its the easiest option and in our experience cheaper than buying and you don't get any hidden repair bills. Plus there is no contract length so if you don't need it you just give it back. Small vans are cheaper and if you shop round depot to depot they can vary in price.

i would definitley look at Norflex (Northgates long term rental offering), along with TLS- 'Advantage', Burnt tree ' X-flex', these main three have good branch networks and deal with business users with 1 vehicle +. There are some others out there : reflex, leaseway, west wallasey + several others; but they are usually set up for larger accounts. They are cheaper generally - but dont have a network of branches, (you only realise the benefit to this if you need breakdown / replacement vehicle asistance off your patch)

there are some MEGA cheap deals to be had at the moment, just make sure you get a long term agreement on the price, and watch out for the 'loss of use' conditions, and tyre replacement policy's.

An 'adventure' story?

Obviously I cant be too specific, but suffice it to say that I (and a young lady from my past) know from experience that nova vans have a tendancy to get stuck when driven down and parked upon muddy tracks in the middle of nowhere late at night.

I also know that running the tape player (for mood music purposes) off the battery drains it very fast.

Further to this, I can confirm that not all AA men, when called to rescue young couples from country lanes at 2am are very good at keeping a straight face, or even not laughing out loud whilst pretending to be getting stuff out of the back of their van.

Some will even get straight on their radios to tell the area nightshift what they have just seen as the rescued vehicle drives off...

ZB

Thats fine, but before I grant memebrship I have one more question...

Were you playing 'Duran Duran' or 'Wham' in your cassette player at the time it ran your battery flat?

Thats fine, but before I grant memebrship I have one more question...

Were you playing 'Duran Duran' or 'Wham' in your cassette player at the time it ran your battery flat?

I'll have money on Careless Whisper :good: With a Frankie says relax t-shirt on