1st shot with .223

mosa

I would like to sit here and say i was aiming for a head shot but with my poor 3-9x50 scope i just aimed at the body with good results. I am on the endlees search to better my scope so at the moment this will have to do, hope i'm on here more to share some more sporting pic's !!!!!! :good:

Edited by mosa

I would like to sit here and say i was aiming for a head shot but with my poor 3-9x50 scope i just aimed at the body with good results. I am on the endlees search to better my scope so at the moment this will have to do, hope i'm on here more to share some more sporting pic's !!!!!! :good:

Done the same tonight with 2 Hares - missed with a few shots so did my mate who used my rifle then finally got the last 2 - aimed dead center just in case and nearly cut en in half

I'm in the same place with my scope at the moment - which one do you have ?

Nice shooting - be it a little bit over OVER KILL :good:

Stick a Leupold on it - cracking scopes I can highly recommend one- Im use one on my CZ Varmint clear optics and very nice reticlue to boot

not to mention a life time warranty

Les :look:

Edited by Lez325

Yes of course as .243 will overkill more than a .223 fella- I thought everyone knew that :lol::good: :look: :yes:

.223 Just seems an expensive rabbit round :lol:

Les :lol:

Im sorry mate but that's a pretty stupid attitude. There's nothing deader than dead. There is "underkill" using too small a calibre to get the job done but unless your using a .50cal then I don't see how it can be over kill.

BTW we now and then use the 243 to take out a long range rabbit, Its rather convenient as it skins it before you even pick it up :hmm:

Im sorry mate but that's a pretty stupid attitude. There's nothing deader than dead. There is "underkill" using too small a calibre to get the job done but unless your using a .50cal then I don't see how it can be over kill.

BTW we now and then use the 243 to take out a long range rabbit, Its rather convenient as it skins it before you even pick it up :)

like he said can't you just learn how to be a bit quieter and get within 100 yards of a rabbit and shoot it with something a bit more sensable. to be honest if i was a land owner and found that the people i trusted to do my vermin control were messing about attempting to shoot rabbits from long ranges with centre fire rifles then i would kick you straight off, there is nothing clever sensible or heroic about blowing a rabbit to pieces just to say to others you can do it ! besides its all well and good writting you have done it and posting a picture but what does it prove for all i no that rabbit was sittin 30 yards away,

Edited by hill billy

The rabbit was sitting over 150m away. I can vouch for mosa's shot as I was there with him. So it was killed with a .223? So what? It's dead, the same as it would be if it'd been shot with a .22LR or clubbed to death with a prosthetic arm.

Luckily for us the landowner is a decent old boy who does let us on his land with a centrefire. He appreciates any foxes been taken out as he's a lot of lambs. The long range rabbits are a bonus and helps keep the eye in.

As for not being heroic? We're shooting vermin, not repelling a Taliban advance at Sangin Valley. Get over yourself you fun guy you.

I think 'pleasantly surprised' was at the damage the round caused. Granted, not a politically correct or the best term to use. No problem with keeping my eye in as I'm well aware of my own capabilities in that department, be it on paper or otherwise. Let mosa enjoy his new rifle. Think of the pleasure your first experiences brought you; the taste of the bloke, the smell of the bloke and the little presents you were given so you wouldn't tell.

I have shot a number of rats with my .243. Out stalking, just about to leave as getting dark and a rat is at a feeder. Dead and no need to pick it up cos nothings left. lol.

If I see a crow, magpie or pigeon on a field at the farmers crop. .243BOOM!!!! Thats why my cert states "Vermin."

.223 is a vermin round.

Good on ya mosa.

Im not saying that it's especially a bad thing when some thing is dead it can't be more dead i just don't think it's something that needs to bragged about, it just sounded to me like you were using the rabbits as something to practice with a centre fire rifle on, writting on a forum that you were not sure about the zero of the rifle so you just had a go any way by no mans books is fair to the quarry you hunt even if it is just a rabbit, the shooting world is under enough pressure to behave as it is

So if I'm out stalking with a 7mm-08 and I see the fox, then I shouldn't shoot it as it's overkill?

Should I perchance also carry my 22-250 just in case?

Oh, better carry the HMR as well in case there's rabbits about as we all know that a 22-250 is far too extreme for a bunny.

Oh, while I'm at it, might as well carry an airgun, just in case I see some rats in the yard.......

I mean let's face it, a 223's gonna kill a bunny pretty damn quick no matter where's the bunny's hit too. If the guy's happy to spend the cash on a bunny bullet then that up to him. Good on him I say.

Hello all!! well most of you!!its nice to get a debate going and cheers to the understanding guys on here, all of my rifles are for vermin shooting/control so thats what i'll shoot. I like to get out when i can to gain more experience rather than bleet on, on these types of forums like some people do sitting on their high horse or arm chairs!!!!!. I find this usually a very friendly and very informative site with some great, helpfull people who take time out of their lives to assist people with any requests posted. I will disappoint the arm chair crew by no longer posting items in this section good night :)

I will disappoint the arm chair crew by no longer posting items in this section good night :)

Now that truly is a veritable shame mosa. I was hoping you'd post the pics of you and me when we shot that red stag with a .177 springer from 200 yards. Imagine the outcry if I posted my big game hunting photos when I dropped that bull elephant armed with nothing less than a stern look and a semi-hard on.

Now that truly is a veritable shame mosa. I was hoping you'd post the pics of you and me when we shot that red stag with a .177 springer from 200 yards. Imagine the outcry if I posted my big game hunting photos when I dropped that bull elephant armed with nothing less than a stern look and a semi-hard on.

it's a good thing you have to pass a mental age test to obtain a FAC or SGC or you would be right in the cart

Edited by hill billy