.22 sub sonic rounds and rifles

Hi All,

I'm the proud owner of a CZ Style which i'm really pleased with. Over the last two months i've shot 800 rabbits with it and hoping to shoot alot more over the summer. I got talking to a lad who's a massive fan of CZ Rifles and we were talking about what workhorses they are and he said his rifle is dated 1972 and he wished he'd kept a record of how many rounds it had through it.

It got me thinking, whats the oldest .22 out there in regular use? and who's rifle has had the most rounds through it? (Excluding target use other than zeroing).

P.S No porky pies please!!

Guest RemmySPS
(Excluding target use other than zeroing)

Oh 'eck that’s me out for a start. My Match rifle used to have @ 5000 a year through it from 1988 up to 2001 and has had @ 1000 a year since, so that’s somewhere in the region of 75,000 rds.

I have seen some silly boogers changing their barrels (at a cost of over £700) in the belief that their rifle has been shot out after 50,000rds. Load of nonsense. As for sporting rifles; you really won’t shoot out a sporting .22rf if you look after it.

My Marlin U/L is 1978 vintage but haven’t a clue how many rounds have been through it, but it’s a certain bet that it’s not as many as my match rifle. And I also have a BSA.22 Hornet from the 60s…….but that IS boogered. :good: :look: :yes:

I`ve had my model 2 BRNO for 9 years and within the first year had to get a new certificate and a variation as I had shot so many rabbits/rounds that I had filled the ammo section up. The rifle is at least 2nd hand as I bought it at auction for @ £20 and it still drops them with amazing regularity.

Is there a way of finding out how old my rifle is ?

I`ve had my model 2 BRNO for 9 years and within the first year had to get a new certificate and a variation as I had shot so many rabbits/rounds that I had filled the ammo section up. The rifle is at least 2nd hand as I bought it at auction for @ £20 and it still drops them with amazing regularity.

I know CZ rifles have the date stamped next to the proof mark but i don't know if that applies to BRNO's aswell. There must be rifles out there still going strong after 100,000 i reckon!

I'd imagine they must go on pretty much forever if they're looked after. Lead is much softer than steel and the pressures/temperatures involved in such a small round must be very low.

I'm too new to this to get involved. My .22lr probably fired 1500 rounds at the most before I sold it :good:

Guest RemmySPS
There must be rifles out there still going strong after 100,000 i reckon!

The test rifles at Eley are only changed after they have shot I,000,000 (yes one million) rounds :)

Stamped on the side of the barrel Henry,

I've lost count of how many rounds I've put through this gun,

Well if it does I have a contender for the oldest, mine has 81 stamped on it !!

I've a Model 2 aswell, beat you by 10yr, 1971 :(

You got a bargain at £20 :)

BJ.

Edited by Bazooka Joe

Any advance on 1971?! CZ/BRNO rifles must be the most hard wearing guns in the world!

If Eleys test rifles fire 1 million rounds before being changed it goes to show. You cant shoot 'em out! I wonder how many .22 rounds are fired annually worldwide? I remember reading an article in which Winchester were asked how many sub-sonic rounds they produced at their plant in Australia but they declined to give an answer, saying that it was commercially sensitive information! Shame!

My grandfather (the oldest holder of an FAC in Norfolk, I gather) still uses a 1930s Anschutz bolt-action .22LR, a single-shot still bearing the original barrel and fitted with a Pecar scope and moderator. He put about 600 rounds through it last year. It looks very ropey, but performs almost as well as my 2005-built Anschutz. Next time I see him I will check it for proof marks, to get an accurate date.

• 2 weeks later...