Trigger/Brain issues.

Ok, my trigger flinch/freeze problem is worse than ever. Was bad at Essex Masters, put it down to nerves and building myself up too much, but it was also bad today at the straw bale shoot.

Basically I go to pull the trigger and lean forward to counter the recoil, but for some reason finger isn't pulling the trigger. I wait a sec then try again and actually pull it this time. By now the bird is either miles away, or on the ground.

Needless to say, it's ******* me off.

Any advice/abuse?

It was the intense stress caused by knowing that you had to shoot against me in the Essex Masters that brought that on, I expect :good:

But seriously, try the middle finger thing. It worked for a bloke I know. Just because he was doing something slightly different, it stopped him from freezing

Edited by Chard

Hello Peter,

You should not have to lean forwards to counter the recoil at all. What weight cartridges are you using? If I remember your gun just has a plastic butt plate and this will do you no favours at all.

I have recently bought a Browning reactar pad and find it very good at reducing recoil.

Buy some Hull 21gm and shot these till your flinch goes because if you do not drastically change the weight of shot that you use you will suffer in more ways than one as recoil is culminative and it does not go away till you change something.

What happens when you shoot an auto?

I think its called the yips

Dereck bristow had it. He couldnt let go of the dart

I think snooker players and golfers get it too :good: .

good luck Im sure it will sort its self out

Edited by annihilator

Hello Peter,

You should not have to lean forwards to counter the recoil at all. What weight cartridges are you using? If I remember your gun just has a plastic butt plate and this will do you no favours at all.

I have recently bought a Browning reactar pad and find it very good at reducing recoil.

Buy some Hull 21gm and shot these till your flinch goes because if you do not drastically change the weight of shot that you use you will suffer in more ways than one as recoil is culminative and it does not go away till you change something.

What happens when you shoot an auto?

I use mostly 28gr. Have used 24gr and 21 recently, was using mostly 24gr at the Essex Masters. You don't lean in slightly as you pull the trigger? Maybe not lean but transfer weight forwards a little? I don't think it's recoil related, as I suffer no effects from recoil as far as I'm aware of. Certainly no shoulder issues. I shot 650 28gram carts with Carl Bloxham in 6 hours with no ill effects. Sometimes I do get a swollen cheek on some fast carts, or if I mismount, could it be this?

I like this quote from the link supplied by Pootang...

I do put huge pressure on myself for good results, this has been mentioned by several people and completely acknowledged by myself. :good:

Charles suffered with this problem for about eight years and almost gave up competitive shooting, putting the problem down to a flinch caused by recoil. However, following a conversation with top lady trap shooter Lesley Goddard, he realised it was commonly caused by the stress of performance and could usually be cured by a course of Mental Re-Training. In fact, two sessions was enough for a cure in his case.

I think its called the yips

Dereck bristow had it. He couldnt let go of the dart

I think snooker players and golfers get it too :lol: .

good luck Im sure it will sort its self out

Funnily enough, I've just read the links and it mentions Yips as well.

Something to think about.

I'can use more 24gr and 21gr carts, and the recent lengthening work done to my stock was in the form of a Gracoil system, so I can adjust that from being locked solid to having some give and see what happens. I'll also try and see what going to shoots just for fun does, or if that's possible.

Edited by Peter De La Mare

I've never been smacked in the face by a gun that fit's me correctly but I do suffer from recoil if I am not careful but just my shoulder.

Regarding leaning forwards,just on birds lower than me. I keep the weight on my front foot but that's about it.

If I shot 650 cartridges in a day I would be stretchered off :good:

Pete,

I know you've had a lesson(s) with Carl Bloxham and i think i read on here, Ben Husthwaite too? Just as a matter of interest did you have the trigger freeze problem before you met them? if so what was their solution? :good:

Ya, a little. It's worse since though. Actually, on the actual day with Husthwaite I recall thinking that I hadn't had any trigger freezes. :lol:Tried some of his special 42gr loads as well. :good:

It's unlikely to be a recoil problem then!! :lol:

So when you shoot a competition, do you shoot with mates, or just jump on any squad going? Sorry for the questions, but it sounds like you're experiencing something that happened to me a little while back!

:oops: Let me know if you find the answer dude, i have been doing it 4-5 times on each shoot, pi55es me off big tiime making me more likley to do it, beeen shooting the same gun for 2 years before it started, and doesnt happen when im pigeon shooting, i used to think that perhaps I hadnt released the trigger enough for the second shot but its not that, stripped my trigger down cleaned it etc but i think its a mental thing............

Do tend to get a bit over excited (for want of a better phrase) and do daft thing but only once have i had that sort of problem, just simply didn't release the trigger after the first shot.

Peter, these guys you've had lessons with, can they offer a solution?

Ok, my trigger flinch/freeze problem is worse than ever. Was bad at Essex Masters, put it down to nerves and building myself up too much, but it was also bad today at the straw bale shoot.

Basically I go to pull the trigger and lean forward to counter the recoil, but for some reason finger isn't pulling the trigger. I wait a sec then try again and actually pull it this time. By now the bird is either miles away, or on the ground.

Needless to say, it's ******* me off.

Any advice/abuse?

It sounds to me as if the fear of recoil may be part of your problem . You describe elsewhere using heavy loads and shooting large amounts of shells . Then you say you have added a recoil reducer and you lean forward as you pull the trigger . All this says that whether you are aware of it or not you are already nervous of the recoil . All this will play on your mental focus when you are under pressure at a competion . Your mind is expecting a problem everytime you shoot and you need to break this circle quickly . A suggestion might be to use only 24 gm loads for a month or switch to a semi-auto. In the meantime try and restrict how many shells you use per day , say 100 max . To get your confidence back , go to your local ground and shoot lots of easy targets at 25 yds or less ; simple crossers or quartering away targets . Repeat the same shot several times until you can relax and effectively feel the clay will break even before you pull the trigger . Practise simple targets not hard ones and you should find your confidence will return . This is a common problem that many of us have gone through . It is simply a sign that you need to change something . :oops:

I would do a few things if I was in your situation. First if it has a hollow butt I would add weight this will reduce felt recoil.

Analise your stance, the front foot should be pointing straight at the point you intend to kill the bird, Your rear foot should be 8 inches apart at 2 o'clock for RH shooters and 10 o'clock for LH shooters. 70% of your weight should be over the front foot, this all helps your body absorb the recoil.

Get a mate to give you a hand, he will hand you your gun closed with one, both or no barrels loaded. You call for the bird mount and shoot, you must concentrate on firing it as if every shot is dry firing. you will feal a bit daft the first time you flinch with the gun not loaded. That will all help you concentrate and settle down.

Good luck

Dave

Edited by Devilishdave

:oops: Thats not the point, you whinged about it afterwards....i never feel the effects of recoil from my gun.....irrespective of how many clays i do or dont hit..............

Saying "once" that my face was sore after 300+ clays does not count as whinging, unlike some threads on the colour of clays :lol::yes:

:oops: ONCE? JEEEZE IT WAS ALL THE WAY HOME!!!

My poor face....

Do you think it will scar?.....

Will i need cosmetic surgery?

It WAS my best side.......

Got any plasters?

Got any local anaesthetic?