A Day on the wheat drillings - a surprise visitor

Topgunners

I had a phone call from a farmer's wife on Friday saying that the grain barns and a newly drilled wheat field were being battered by the rooks and would I like to pop over and sort them out.

This is the farm that alan and I had shot on last time and had 116 blackies in 2 1/2 hours.

The only problem is I cannot start shooting there till about 8.00am because of a "moaning neighbour".

We arrived about 7.15am and as we drove round the back of the barns to the field about 250-300 came flying out of the barns and silage pit squawking their heads off , much to the surprise of clive (my shooting partner for the day).

W continued on to the drilled field and there were dozens of rooks and pigeons scattered all over the field and we sat there drinking coffee watching the flight lines.

We had been there about 15 minutes and then to our surprise, a HUGE brown dog fox walked straight out in front of the jeep about 40yds away from the left and stopped and sniffed and aimlessly mooched about right there in front of us.

I said to my mate " what a cheeky, lucky *******"; as there behind me on the back seat was my .243 and he wasn't going to meet it today.

At 8.00am we were all set up and ready in the hide, with 2 deek patterns (1 x pigeons and 1x crows) and we had them returning within 20mins.

The pigeons did not come back but the rooks and jackdaws did and we had a nice steady 2 hours where we had dropped 38 and then the next hour and half went very slow for only 10 more and then DEADSVILLE.

Not a bird flying in or over the deeks so we picked up - 35 blackies and 3 pigeons (9 landed in the next field) and decided to move on elsewhere. As we drove out of the farm . there were about 150 birds in and around the barns again and then they lifted and flew off to the roost wood about 2 mile in the distance.

IMG_0214-1.jpgIMG_0212.jpg

Next visit I will have to take more guns and spread them about the farm.

I might be looking for a couple of local crow bashers for a day out with us.

Watch this space.

Dave K

Edited by Topgunners

Nice report and pics, as usual. :good:

It sounds as though you could have quite a result around the barns with an air rifle.

cheers Cranfield. I might just give that a try with my Shinsung Career 707 fac air (when I get the right fill adaptor for my tank).

:lol:

good write up again.... :lol:

What general area were you in?

cheers

Malk

West mids/warks just on the border.

Dave K