HELP ANYONE ???

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have authorisation on your FAC to shoot vermin with a particular calibre then there is no problem in shooting Fox - providing you have permission from the 'owner' of the shooting rights and the land in question has been passed for that calibre by the Chief Officer of Police for that area. That is if you do not have an open certificate.

If you have an open certificate, you still need to have vermin in the conditions section for that calibre and you still need the permission of the owner of the shooting rights.

With regard to expanding ammunition, the ability to possess, purchase or acquire expanding ammunition (or the missiles of such ammunition - in the case of home loading) is also the subject of an additional 'condition' and must be added to your FAC and its use qualified if you wish to possess and use said ammunition.

I may be wrong and I apologise if I am, but I have never seen a FAC that states Fox on it - Deer yes but not Fox - Maybe its just a Welsh thing but Fox in Wales are classified as Vermin and I believe that Fox are also classified as Vermin in Essex - See WWW. Essex Vermin Control.

Angelo - I agree with codling99, each time you try to qualify a statement you are digging a larger hole. If you would like any advice on interpreting the additional conditions on your FAC, pm me and I will be glad to assist, or if you would prefer - give Helene Rodgers a call at Bridgend HQ, I am sure she will also be happy to help you.

If you have authorisation on your FAC to shoot vermin with a particular calibre then there is no problem in shooting Fox - providing you have permission from the 'owner' of the shooting rights and the land in question has been passed for that calibre by the Chief Officer of Police for that area. That is if you do not have an open certificate.

If you have an open certificate, you still need to have vermin in the conditions section for that calibre and you still need the permission of the owner of the shooting rights.

With regard to expanding ammunition, the ability to possess, purchase or acquire expanding ammunition (or the missiles of such ammunition - in the case of home loading) is also the subject of an additional 'condition' and must be added to your FAC and its use qualified if you wish to possess and use said ammunition.

I may be wrong and I apologise if I am, but I have never seen a FAC that states Fox on it - Deer yes but not Fox - Maybe its just a Welsh thing but Fox in Wales are classified as Vermin and I believe that Fox are also classified as Vermin in Essex - See WWW. Essex Vermin Control.

Angelo - I agree with codling99, each time you try to qualify a statement you are digging a larger hole. If you would like any advice on interpreting the additional conditions on your FAC, pm me and I will be glad to assist, or if you would prefer - give Helene Rodgers a call at Bridgend HQ, I am sure she will also be happy to help you.

Mine does :hmm:

south wales police told me today that the fox couldnt be shot with a 22 but it could definatley be with a shotgun

also asked them if there was a problem considering the time i have had my licence and they said no

Edited by angelotambini

i spoke to martin lewis at bridgend

i am going to put in for the mods And the change in conditions to shoot over the land

i have written permission from the farmer but have not sent it in yet so i havent started shooting the 22 over the land

on the disscusion of wording,i only got vermin stated on mine,and i have an open ticket,and specifically asked for . 22 and a .222 for fox,flo said no problem,but obviously get close as you can with .22 as to be sure of a kill.does depend on forces discretion and wording. :hmm:

That's why you have been informed that you are not allowed to shoot Fox with a .22 (Yet)

Once you have submitted your request for variation, if granted, you will be able to shoot over the land in question with a moderated .22 for Fox.

Please ensure that you stipulate on your variation submission that this is your intention, to ensure that when your FAC is returned it will have confirmation of this fact within the additional conditions section.

Also please ensure that you make a specific request for expanding ammunition at the same time, so that you can use this for all vermin. As I said previously this permission will also be placed as a condition and qualified as to use.

as far as im aware ,you just send ya ticket back with a letter asking for moderators to be added,exp ammo,should be automatically put on when vermin is on ticket but ask for it aswell just in case.dont forget to send a cheque for fee,and recorded delivery . :hmm:

FIREARM CERTIFICATES PART B (Details of firearms and ammunition)

QUESTION 17

List the firearms in your possession. If this is an application for the initial grant of a certificate, the answer to this question is "none". Note that the first box asks for the calibre of firearm. It does not ask what cartridge it fires, so the correct answer would be, for example, .22 (it is helpful to say rim fire or centre fire since they are so different or 6mm/.244 or 6.5mm/.256 or 7mm/.284 or 7.62mm/.30 etc. as the case may be.

QUESTION 18.

Same as 17 but concerning ammunition. If a first application, the answer is "none" If a renewal make sure that you do not have more ammunition in your possession than you are entitled to. Once again the question asks for the calibre, not for the cartridge designation.

QUESTION 19.

Firearms you wish to acquire. It asks for calibre, type, reason and where it is intended to use the firearm. Calibre. The question asks for the calibre of rifle/pistol, not for the name of the cartridge. For example, .308 Winchester is a cartridge, not a calibre; the calibre is .30. The Home Office confirms this is the correct interpretation. "Type" means target rifle, sporting rifle, large magazine capacity shotgun, or muzzle loading Pistol. "Reason" for possession will be "target shooting", "pest control and zeroing/target practice" or "deer/pest control and zeroing target practice" as the case may be. This is to establish you have a good reason for possessing each firearm and that the above suggestions are quite sufficient. You do not need to detail each species of animal or bird you might wish to shoot, nor in the future will you need to apply for a variation to allow you to shoot different species. "Where" For a pure target rifle or a muzzle loading pistol you must be a member of a Home office approved club which offers facilities for the type of firearm. In this case the correct answer to the question is "as 1 member of "_ _ _ _ " rifle/muzzle loading pistol club and on other ranges which have the appropriate range safety certificate". For sporting rifles the best answer is: "On (name of land) and on any other land where permission has been obtained". If you cannot name a piece of land but wish to shoot with a friend or as a paying stalker etc., it should not be a problem, although some police firearms licensing departments will try to turn it into one. It is best to contact BASC under those circumstances.

NB. Please note that Question 19 clearly says the information relating to where the firearm will be used is only required in connection with new firearms which you are asking for authority to acquire. This means the information is not required for firearms already in your possession. The Home Office (OPPU) confirms this.

QUESTION 20.

Maximum amount of ammunition you require to have in your possession at any one time. For .22 "Rimfire" the usual quantity would be around 600 to 1, 000 rounds, depending on your type of shooting. Enter a figure which is within reason but will permit you time to buy in fresh supplies. For "Centre fire" ammunition it is usually around 180 to 200 rounds per calibre, which should allow you time to buy further supplies of ammunition. Make sure you enter a figure high enough to ensure that you do not run out, especially if it is difficult for you to get to a stockist. If your rifle is held for pest shooting or deer control, please note that cartridges loaded with expanding bullets and even the bullets themselves are prohibited by law unless there is a condition on your FAC allowing you to obtain and possess expanding ammunition. Make sure you ask for the correct condition if you want to use soft or hollow point bullets.

QUESTION 2l.

Quantity of ammunition you wish to purchase at any one time. This will be less than the quantity at the previous question so as to allow for purchasing fresh ammunition before you run out. For .22 "Rim fire" between 400 to 800 rounds & for "Centre fire" 100 rounds per calibre. If you are a home loader remember the form insists that the total should include loose bullets.