spit roast pig

pluckers son

been to see the farmer at the pig farm and he is going to sell us a small pig to spit roast but ive never done 1 before but going to give it a try with a few friends with some beers :lol:

would like to know if anyone on pigeon watch has spit roasted a full pig before to give me some tips.going to cut a 45 gallon barrel in harf for the fire to go in and get the welding gear out to make a frame for the pig with a car wiper motor to spin the pig real slow :lol:

some pics would be nice if u guys can help me out

I can only mention that a mate of mine did a full size hog once. He had it cooking over a spit for 10 hours and still gave people food poisoning. I think he went wrong with the fact he had the spit too high from the coals.

Save some for me though, I love a good hog roast.

Regards,

Axe.

hi axe sorry about the food poisoning ,mate after 10 hours of coking i bet he was gutted.... :<

iam going to roast a suckling pig about 20lb or so ,the pigs we saw were 10 weeks old but thay were big at that age,2 more weeks should do it and we shall stoke up the fire and start cooking :lol:

The official food hygiene guidance is: "To cook meat safely so that E. Coli 0157, Salmonella and Listeria are killed, the centre of the meat must reach a core temperature of at least 70ºC for 2 minutes or an equivalent temperature/time combination, or until the juices run clear."

You should buy or borrow a temperature probe and stick it into various locations, particularly in the thicker parts of the meat to ensure the correct temperature is reached. At temperatures below this level, there is a good risk of food poisoning.

Without using a probe, it is extremely difficult to tell if the meat is sufficiently cooked.

You cannot be too careful with pork mate the probing suggested by hammer is a must.

You can get hold of a temperature probe at most super markets.

Also score the meat all over and rub in some salt before cooking this will help it crackle up.

The cheeks are very tasty and also the brain if the butcher leaves it in.

The slower you cook it the better, then when it's cooked through get it nearer the heat and get that cracklin going, keep turning it so it don't burn.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

stuffing.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

yes guys going to get a probe thats the first thing i was going to do because i dont think i will be able to tell if its cooked through.

aubs mate i dont think i will have a portion of brain this time :lol: or any other time come to think of it lol :lol::sly: ill save u some though if u like

yes guys going to get a probe thats the first thing i was going to do because i dont think i will be able to tell if its cooked through.

aubs mate i dont think i will have a portion of brain this time  :sly:  or any other time come to think of it lol :shoot:  :shoot:  ill save u some though if u like

Just close your eyes and try some you might surprise yourself.

I'm a chef by trade and the lad I used to work with is from cyprus.

They eat anything over there so I got to try alsorts and I don't mean the liquorice stuff.

Get the guests watching babe first it'll go down a treat. :lol::lol::shoot:

Good luck with the little porker.

You can get low cost probes and insertion thermometers here:

http://www.nisbets.co.uk/product.asp?group=1550&product=S545

http://www.nisbets.co.uk/product.asp?categ...28&product=C462

http://www.nisbets.co.uk/product.asp?group=1551&product=F306

http://www.nisbets.co.uk/product.asp?group=1551&product=J229

Available next day delivery.

Always remember to wash the probe thoroughly after each insertion or you can end up unwittngly transferring bacteria from the raw meat to the cooked meat.

I remember seeing a home-made spit roaster once before. You need to put a back, sides and top onto it to retain the heat and reflect it back onto the meat if you can. It was a sort of oven with an open front.

The thing to remember with pork is it needs to be cooked very well to kill any oocysts (tapeworm larvae) which may be present!!

The links are really just for reference as postage will be expensive just for one item - You will probably be able to pick up a similar device in one of the cookshops in town.

The heating guidelines are the minimum to make sure the meat is safe. It needs to be cooked more than that to make it tender.

Aubs,

I tried Pigs brain over here just recently, and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt it was the most horrible thing I've tasted..........and I've eaten everything and anything over here in the last 16months.

Never again.

Hammy

• 2 years later...

I've done a few hog roasts, a calf, a lamb. The HFW book gives good advice, I think having the fire to the side and not underneath is very important, to avoid flare ups and the classic charred outside/raw inside that we all know and love from drunken BBQ's. Allow plenty of time, for cooking and RESTING the meat afterwards. A probe is essential.

Can I suggest, for a first timer, that you try to borrow/hire a gas powered hog roast machine. This could make your life much easier.

• 5 months later...