diagram explanationtion

is it possable that someone on here could do me a picture or a diagram to help me with were abouts me gun should be aiming when a i am bout to shoot at it and pull the trigger just so that i know ruffly were my gun needs to be when i go as i have yet to hit a bird done well on clays but game wise not a single one has been hit. can any one do this for me please?

It all depends on the direction of flight. For example, crosses (left to right/ right to left) you need to swing along the path of the bird and pull the rigger just passed the bird but keep swinging, do not aim, just swing/shoot and carry on swinging. A bird flying away from you and a bird flying towards you are much like static targets, although the latter is easier to hit :good:

Speed of flight also dictates the amount of 'lead' or distance in front of a crosser you need to give.

It seems to me that you need to stay on the clays for a bit longer until you get the knack of judging lead and then you will automatically do it because if you stop to think, you will miss.

If you think of a clock face with the 9 o'clock to your left and the 3 o'clock to your right and birds flying over your head and away from you.

9 = no lead (flying away from you)

10 = lead

11 = lead

12 = no lead

1 = lead

2 = lead

3 = no lead

The amount of lead will depend up on the speed of the bird but in reality the effective distance of shot is 40 to 60 yards so the lead distance is ultimately small in variance. Just follow the birds flight path, swing past and pull the trigger. Believe it or not, it's hard to miss in front of the bird as the shot travels in an elongated egg shape and not a ball.

The chances are that you actually missing below the bird. Not sure if you can still get tracer ammo for the 12 bore. I have a dozen or so left in my ammo cabinet. Not sure if any of the above makes sense but that's my 2's worth.

John

Edited by Hunter_zero

Chris ,

That would be very difficult as one has to take in speed of target ,distance from target ,velocity of pellets . A normal rule of thumb is ,if a target is crossing at 30 miles per hour at 30 yards in front then you need to be aiming 9 feet in front to hit it . Having said that it is not as simple as that . Consistant accurate shooting takes lots of practice and technique .

Harnser .

Try this

Next time you are at the clay ground look at the space infront of the bird decide where you are going to kill the bird forward foot towards that postion also the gun.

Call the bird "PULL !" do not look at the gun just look at the bird swing through the bird nice and smooth dont worry about hitting it pull the trigger when you feel its the right time to do so and see.... keep relaxed work on the swing and not the kill you will be surprised ..... remember look into the empty space the sky then focus on the bird .... then swing through and pull the trigger .... never look at the gun .

If the birds going away then aim at it .... and you will get a hit .... its only moving in your mind .... visually its stationary....

if the birds comming towards you swing the gun as soon as you have covered the target with the gun pull the trigger ... but keep swinging and this an important rule and applies to any target apart from away birds ,..... best of luck ......never look at the gun :good: :good: