Hearing Protection

I have some early ones from Green Leopard, £45 Pete Starley in Warwick did them for me, there are newer models available but I have been using mine for about 5 years now & they are in as new condition & work great as I never liked ear muffs.

N

Edited by neil smith

the in-ear custom plugs are excellent in my opinion.

I did a bit of research before I got mine, & from what I can make out.... loads of people sell them.... but not many actual manufacturers. it seems that a lot of the guys selling them do a course on how to take the moulds.... then pretty much all send them to these guys

http://www.puretone.net/

I got mine from these direct, just made an appt, went to the factory, had the moulds taken & 10-14 days later... made. around £60..... mates of mine have EXACTLY the same plug (colour, same details, etc).... but paid prices ranging £70-85.

I've got the Emtec Noisebreakers, they cost me £70 and are very comfortable and good at what they do (kill loud noises but you can still have a conversation with them in). If all I did was shoot clays I'd be a happy man but I'm now shooting more game than I did when I bought them I would rather have the CENS or similar so I can hear the noises killed by the Emtec plugs for example on a duck flight.

I've got the Emtec Noisebreakers, they cost me £70 and are very comfortable and good at what they do (kill loud noises but you can still have a conversation with them in). If all I did was shoot clays I'd be a happy man but I'm now shooting more game than I did when I bought them I would rather have the CENS or similar so I can hear the noises killed by the Emtec plugs for example on a duck flight.

CENS are quite expensive are they not? I was under the impression they are about £400 + although I can see the advantages. I would be interested if someone knew where they are more afordable.

Ian

CENS are quite expensive are they not? I was under the impression they are about £400 + although I can see the advantages. I would be interested if someone knew where they are more afordable.

Ian

Expensive initial outlay yes, at say £300 - £400, but break it down over how many seasons you will use them for and how many days a season you shoot and compare it to what you pay for your shooting, cartridges, dog food etc and it's not a lot to protect your hearing and get the best from your shooting. Them teal are hard enough to hit when you can hear them coming! :blink:

Expensive initial outlay yes, at say £300 - £400, but break it down over how many seasons you will use them for and how many days a season you shoot and compare it to what you pay for your shooting, cartridges, dog food etc and it's not a lot to protect your hearing and get the best from your shooting. Them teal are hard enough to hit when you can hear them coming! :blink:

Thanks William, you have made some very good points, I'll relay them to the wife.

Ian

I can't see how the active ones are so much cash.

I would have thought there would have been some for say £200 having regard to the price of a set of peltor sportacs, material costs, profit etc.

Anything out there for a lot less than £400.

For the boys that have splashed out, do you insure yours given how easy they are to lose?

I have two pairs of green leopard ones, one with the filters and one without. To be honest there is not a great difference between the two and even with the filters it is not easy to hear a conversation unless you are very near to the person speaking.

They are excellent and very comfortable and I would recomend them to anyone.

Are these just plugs or do they do active ones (battery enhanced etc).

puretone are the guys that make Cens & Cens II (the flexi plastic/rubber version). I spent a lot of time looking into all the different types of ear plugs, as I am not so keen on ear defenders as they get in the way for me when I mount the gun (although I understand that they are supposed to give the best ear protection as they enclose the ear & surrounding bone totally).

Puretone also just do the passive ear plugs (non electronic)... these are the ones I bought for £60-odd, as I wanted to check that I could get on with in-ear plugs before shelling out big bucks on something like cens. They are a flexible rubber type plastic, with some sort of valve in them.

they are very comfortable, block out the harmful noise supposedly, so you still hear the gun etc.... but some of the high db sound is blocked/filtered.....but you can still hear conversation fine.

Cens are the expensive, electronic, hard rigid plastic ear plugs (feedback I've heard is that they can irritate the ear/rub). Cens II are the same electronic ones, but in the flexi rubber/plastic (much better with a little give in them). with both the cens, you get an electronic insert (battery powered) & a passive insert, so if you have a prob with the actual elec insert & it needs to go off to be fixed.... you stick the passive (the valve system) in & can still go out shooting.

I have not upgraded yet, but plan to in the next couple of months when funds allow.

Cens & Cens II are in the £350-500 range.

[expensive, but I suppose if you spoke to someone later on in their life who had severe hearing loss due to shooting.... & told them they could have their hearing back for £350-500.... would be a small price to pay!]

I liked the look of puretone as a co., cos they actually manufacture these things, & are big in the hearing aid market. Their sales director is a shooter, hence why they developed their range of in ear plugs for shooting further....

I have no connection with them, just spent a lot of time talking to people about them, grilling their staff etc. They are not a huge corporate, are a family run & owned outfit - the son took over from the dad some years back.

When I went down for the moulding, it was the MD who took the moulds!

they are based on the medway city estate in rochester, kent

I bough the Green Leopards and a pair of Sordin Pro-X electronic muffs as the 2 together were cheaper than cens. The muffs also protect the bone at the back of your ear which any in-ear device cannot do. They also keep my ears warm during the winter when I am out game shooting ;-)