whistles, leads and anything else

stuey

Get my Cocker Pup in 4 weeks:

In the process of buying all the bits I think I might need. Already got the cage, but wonder what else I should buy, leads, whistles, cage for the car, what food?

Any useful websites?

Cheers for the help.

Stu

Keep feeding on whatever food the breeder has been using, at 8 weeks old they don't want anything to heavy and weetabix and milk is good. you can gradually wean them onto whichever brand of food you can get easily. There is no point feeding skinners if you can't get it regularly all major brands do a puppy food which is good.

have plenty for the pup to chew on. If your cocker is anything my lab, she'll need plenty of 'her' toys. When you catch her with one of 'your' things, just substitute with one of hers. We liked pigs ears for consumable things and smoked beef legs for more long term.

I assume you have a dog bed. That will be her place to lay down and chew/nap.

You'll need a couple leads and collars. I like to have one lead in each car because you never know when you're going to forget one. Same thing for collars. Make sure you have name plates/tags on the collars.

Poop bags if you live anywhere but on your own country lane. Nothing worse than going out for a walk and not having a bag. The little containers that look like a fire hydrant and tie to your lead are great.

ou'll need a whistle eventually, but not for another 2 months or so. The 2 months or so are just getting the dog acclimated to the house/car/people, socializing, light reward based training, etc. You'll not be introducing the whistle anytime soon.

Thanks

Rick

and an alarm clock of course...

Seriously, when I got my cocker at 8 weeks, the breeder advised me to put a small travel clock in the cage to mimic the Mother's heartbeat and thus put the pup at ease.

ps Do not give in if they whinge at night in the cage. If you do, they will never settle again. I know it might seem harsh but is the best thing I ever did. Mine sleeps anywhere now, even when we go away, with little or no protest.

Have fun - they are a very special breed!

DO NOT GIVE IN ON THE FIRST NIGHT!

They have to learn and it is worth the lost sleep for the many more you will have in the future.

One thing I would recommend is a puppy kong. A great thing for a chewing dog, as they are almost idestructable and you can fill them with treats to keep them occupied for an hour or so.

great shout on the puppy kong, I'd wean the dog off what it is currently on and go for the BARF diet or even BETA puppy, my dogs have always done great on it, helps them to grow spot on...

get two of everything,lead,collar,dog bowls, have old socks at the ready to practice some retrieving with the lil one,

GOOD LUCK

i've just put my springer on cjs dog food after feeding her purina pro plan since we had her,very helpful and knowledgeable woman,sends out samples and she advised me to lower the protein on my dog as i was concerned she was getting a bit leggy (bit late at 6 months) but she has took to cjs without a problem.

check stockists in your area it's a dam sight cheaper than most feeds and the contents are as good if not better

i wouldnt bother with a whislte right away,i tried it for a week when she was 4months (looking back it was way to early)mine is 7 months now and i'm just going to start using the whistle i thought it better that i get her spot on with my voice first then intrduce the whistle slowly,(just seems that it will work best with my dog this way)the only thing i'm findind frustrating and you will probably come across it is how she suddenly goes deaf when other dogs and people are within her range and she bolts to say hello....you end up looking a k**ob shouting after your deaf dog...i find it easier to let her go then recall her after she has said hello....i'm hoping it's just an age thing...

i would use an acme 211/5 or 210/5... I'd get a few lso just in case you lose any.

I think differently to other comments also, I would use the whistle instantly for recall training, for example when its dinner time blow your whistle however many times and stick to it, the dog will associate the whistle with something good and this will be good practice fo the hard times in front of you...

do not use the whistle all the time, ie the dog will lear to ignore it, only use it,in urgent situations when out...use your voice otherwise.

Good Lck agai

Got to agree with last post, my springer is 5 months and very good with recall to voice and whistle. Dont test your pup only recall with two or three peeps on the whistle when you have got him coming towards you. Make it fun and he will soon associate the command with running towards you. Start early, after all you want that recall to become second nature and instant in the future. Just remember that the whistle is only a sound to a dog like your voice.

The Main thing you need with a cocker pup is a good sense of humor they make you laugh and they make you cry but i'm hooked on the little swines now on number 5 and 6 don't be to hard on it they learn best by making a game of there lessons push them to hard and they will go into a sulk and learn nothing, they tell me they need more time than a springer i don't know as i've allways had cockers and allways will, all the best hope it all go'es well for you Popgun :angry::yes: